Acetone for Clean Cold First shot accuracy?

T3-OleMan

Has anyone ever heard of pouring acetone down the barrel, then, Dry patching to get Clean Cold First shot accuracy? OR, do it, then fire 1 or 2 fowling shots to get later Semi-Clean Cold First shot accuracy while Hunting?

OR, use Ronson Lighter fluid instead?

I had a problem after I worked up my one 338WM load 225gr MRX 3,000fps with Clean Cold First shot accuracy. Just learned last month that she likes 185gr GMX Superformance with dirty barrel-10 to 15 rounds then tightens up???? Go figure!

Tried five other peoples process of cleaning after shooting and Nellie did not like any, including mine!!!

Which would remove the most Lub and be barrel safe for a week of ELK hunting, acetone or Ronson lighter fluid ????? I'm going to try it in OCT., for my NOV. hunt.

The only reason to use acetone would be to strip out any oil that remains.

I would not do it.

I never shoot with a clean barrel.

At a minimum I'll always fire two-three fouling shots and leave it that way.

A lot can change after one to three fouling shots over a clean cold bore shot.

Unless you plan to clean your barrel after every shot, there is no sense in having it clean for any shot that counts.

I would not use accetone. To dry for my taste and I would worry about coppering or bullet jacket damage on the first round.

I have been playing with this very problem and my best results are to clean with BoreTech CU+2 then run one dry patch and store. Then when ready to hunt run 3 or 4 dry patches and go.

My .338 LM will put one right in there to 1395 yards on the first cold bore shot with this method. I plan to test my 300wm soon to see if I get the same results.

CU+2 can be left in the bore and protects for rust annd corrosion. Just dry patch it out when ready to hunt. It is a light non oily cleaner with no smell or amonia.

Try it out and see if it works for you on Nellie

ps: wait till you see te copper your current cleaner leaves that Boretech will get out. let soak for 5 or 10 and see the pretty blue.

Jeff

Last edited:
Just good ole rubbing alcohol on a patch will remove most of the solvents that you used for cleaning. If you aren't degreasing your chamber you may be mistaking a barrel fouling for a chamber drying issue. In particular I use it for the chamber which must be degreased after cleaning. You should be aware that rubbing alcohol has a small percentage of oil in it so it is not a total degreaser.

Clean barrels are for paranoids and technofreaks. Truth is dirty barrels usually shoot better.
Definitely much more consistently unless you are cleaning between every shot.

I clean mine thoroughly every 100-200 shots depending on which gun it is. As soon as I'm done I'll then fire at least 2-3 quick fouling shots.

Before I put it away I'll put just a tiny bit of heavy duty/high temp moly grease on a patch and run it through a few times, and then dry patch for two or three patches.

Never had a problem and it keeps the guns extremely consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.