Clean brass everytime before reloading match?

If you ever see me at the range, you will also see me reloading the same ten or fifteen cases over and over. It's quite common to see me load the same five cases over and over at the range. If I want to really see what's going on, I'll load the same case five times and index it. Cases never get cleaned, other than cleaning the primer pockets. I am kinda paranoid about clogged flash holes. I have seen a couple guys loading at the range that ran a bore cleaning brush into the case neck. I never have.
gary

yep the best benchrest group I ever shot I reloaded the same case between each shot. That was many years ago. Had a custom made set of hand dies matched to the shilen .222 benchrest gun. custom neck turner that came with the gun too. I didn't clean that brass either.

I would say you are only neck sizing and seating bullets with an arbor press.

Your brass never touches the ground.

I clean my brass to keep my full length sizing dies clean. Don't want to scratch my dies or brass.

The reason I went to a ultrasonic is I notices large flakes of burnt powder coming out of the inside of my cases in the tumbler. I figured that had to effect case volume. now they are clean inside and out.

yep the best benchrest group I ever shot I reloaded the same case between each shot. That was many years ago. Had a custom made set of hand dies matched to the shilen .222 benchrest gun. custom neck turner that came with the gun too. I didn't clean that brass either.

I would say you are only neck sizing and seating bullets with an arbor press.

Your brass never touches the ground.

I clean my brass to keep my full length sizing dies clean. Don't want to scratch my dies or brass.

The reason I went to a ultrasonic is I notices large flakes of burnt powder coming out of the inside of my cases in the tumbler. I figured that had to effect case volume. now they are clean inside and out.

I reload .222 Remington, .223, 6mm Remington, 6mm/250AI at the range with Wilson inline dies and a small K&M arbor press. The .222 dies were custom built by Mr. Pindell, and are probably forty years old! Still it uses the same bushings as Wilson.

The ejector pin and spring are reworked on these rifles to where the case will stay inside the action if I pull the bolt back very slowly, or drop right beside the rifle if I pull it back fast. My Remington used to damage every case on extraction, and I got tired of that crap, and installed an M16 extractor. Never looked back!! The Savages never did this. We work too damned hard trying to build as perfect a case as we know how to, and then some fool walks all over them at the range or worse yet you loose it shoot coyotes! Not me anyway.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts