Chronographing expertise needed.

F1 chrony.....put blue tape on the rods holding the screens...lowest tape at 4" highest at 7".....at 10'
Keep my rifle scopes line of site just above 4" line...
Arrows get caught shooting between the blue tapes.....

I've got an older Ohler and what I did for my sky screens is I mounted at a 45 degree angle in front two pieces of A500 steel plate. Helps direct the blast up and protects the screens. Went with the Labradar because of the errors reading in the sun.

Can I ask what some might think is a stupid question??
I have never messed with a chronograph that mounts to the barrel but have read many threads here that use them.
My question is, doesn't mounting the Chronograph on the barrel change the harmonics on the barrel??
I would think that would forsure.

Hello,
We are completing a long range .338 Winchester magnum with a 33 inch barrel which is 1.5 inches at the muzzle. Mechanically, we can shoot and fire it, which is what I would like to do with 8 different powders. The frustration so far is this. We have tried chronographing this weapon on three separate occasions in different locations with three different chronographs and have exactly registered two shots. N560 gave us 3,200+ fps with the starter load, so, of course, I was eager to find out exactly what could be attained. We have gained nothing but frustration, so far.

I have begun to think that any type of chronograph that is mounted to the barrel, due to its size at the muzzle, is not registering due to the fact the reading portion is simply too far from the actual rifle muzzle's bore itself. I can't back this up with scientific proof. I am familiar with PACT and Magnetospeed and have used Oehler 43's in the past.

So, if you have had to deal with this problem and found success, I would really appreciate your expertise in solving this issue.

We are north of Santa Fe and if you are within two hours of this area and are willing to try to give me a hand, I would deeply appreciate it if you would get in touch with me.

The experience to this point has been positive, except for the chrongraphing. Recoil from a magnum case with 80 grains of powder has been mitigated by the heavy barrel and Harrell muzzlebrake, and the rocks used as targets, really explode, due to the release of all that energy, when hit.

WW

WW
Most of our rifle range shooters have had great success with LabRadar chronograph.

Can I ask what some might think is a stupid question??
I have never messed with a chronograph that mounts to the barrel but have read many threads here that use them.
My question is, doesn't mounting the Chronograph on the barrel change the harmonics on the barrel??
Just remember. There's no such thing as a
"Stupid" question! Just a stupid answer!
I enjoying this immensely, and learning much from this, because a chronograph is on my list..

Just remember. There's no such thing as a
"Stupid" question! Just a stupid answer!
I enjoying this immensely, and learning much from this, because a chronograph is on my list..
Amen to that. Those lists can get long and expensive. LabRadar is far superior to MS IMHO. Sure, they are more expensive, but I've used both and there is no comparison.

Bullet Seeker Mach 4. I absolutely love mine. So easy and fantastic. Zero hassels. What a unit. Only complaint is I bought mine about 6 months ago and now they have a Mach 4 +.

Amen to that. Those lists can get long and expensive. LabRadar is far superior to MS IMHO. Sure, they are more expensive, but I've used both and there is no comparison.
One short coming is LabRadar is limit on velocity. I have one, but some of my rifle go beyond it's velocity limits. I have some older chony, I am looking at getting something else. Looks likes I have to get an Oehler to be set out infront. Not sure if that will work. Create an obstruction to the LabRadar being set in front of it.

You forgot to mention, can't use it in strong wind, which doesn't affect Magnetospeed or Labrador.
Limitations, limitations, limitations. Your argument in favor of them turned into a strong argument against them.
Sorry....
How does wind affect a Chrony at 15ft from the muzzle?
Please explain this because I have NEVER had an issue…

Cheers.

Labradar has its own problems: It has to be precisely aimed downrange, causing users to add aiming devices.
And it is a battery eater, so most folks add an external power source. So the initial high cost isn't the final cost.