chronographing loads, need HELP!

Lazerus

Heading to the range towmmorrow...I have 2 loads in my 6.5 284 Norma that are all pretty accurate. Now I need to chronograph them and determine my ES. There are a total of 20 rounds to shoot. My question is, should I clean half way through. any help would be greatly appreciated!

I would not clean only because I have noticed a velocity difference with the first round fired after cleaning.

If you have twenty rounds of the same load then I wouldn't clean between strings.
But do run four five shot strings and allow the barrel to cool down about ten or fifteen minutes between strings.
If you have ten rounds of each load I'd suggest making the first ten a single string, discounting the first round in the string from the calculations, cleaning the rifle and allowing it to cool ten or fifteen minutes, then doing the same thing with the next load.

I know it'll take a long time, but I usually put 9 to 10 minutes between each round. A hot barrel slows bullet speed. Run 5 through it quick and you will be able to watch speed drop noticeably. I don't clean between.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts