Chronograph vs Ballistic Range Finder/Binos

brianortegojr

I have a question for those more qualified than I am to help answer. I want to start shooting longer ranges, out to 1000 to start and wonder if I NEED to have a Chronograph to get velocity readings vs using what's on the box and then just Truing Velocities with a Ballistic App/Tool such as the Revic or Sig Kilo 10K? Are both needed or could I save some coin and just purchase the Binos?

Short answer is no.
Practical answer is yes....
Long answer is it will save you a lot of time and money (ammo) and frustration. If you were on a budget you could borrow a chrono, all you need is the MV and your gun club targets will have the distance posted. But just know that your actual MV can vary greatly depending on weather and altitude and you need to know what that spread is. The velocity spread of factory ammo is one of the reasons I got into handloading.
Its a rabbit hole and the more gear you own the less frustration you will avoid.

Personally knowing and trueing your velocity is crucial to consistent POI out past about 500yds. I dont think you NEED to have a chronograph. If your rifle/load accuracy and shooting skills are up to it you can true your velocity with some simple targets and input the data into Hornadys free calculator. Yes having some things to do it for you gets you close I always true my velocity no matter what. If you don't want to spend money on things THAT ARE NOT NEEDED you can (I do and have) for me I have to true so my confidence is there.