Chronograph Suggestions

hawk4974

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good (not expensive) chronograph to buy? I was reading reviews on Amazon and it seems that some of the $100 jobs don't read well and error out a lot.

Those 100 dollar, or around there, jobs are pretty much junk. I've gone through 4 of 'em. Well, only three. . . Shot all of them. Kinda by mistake but nevertheless they still got shot.

If you're gonna bank on what the chrono says you're gonna have to pony up some bucks.

Around 500 or so. . .

However, a chrono is not absolutely necessary. Darn handy but not a deal breaker if ya don't have one.

The magnetic on that mounts on the muzzle is the current cats meow.

However, technology moves on. There will be a doppler radar chrono on the market later this year.

Less than $500.00 (so far)

This one will me way more than handy.

If a couple of fellas get one each determination of bc will be come a piece of cake.

My Chrony hardly ever gets used anymore.

I have the magneto speed that your talking about, and i must say it is the cats meow. Also have pvm-21, and a ced m2. Their all very accurate, but the magneto speed is what i use the most. Around 300 new. I like it because you can take it anywhere you want and shot and get your fps.

I have a Beta Master Shooting Chrony. I think I paid about $130ish for it from Optics Planet. I have had it about 1-2 years. I would say that it is o.k.
It does error out at times, especially in bright sun.
Every now and then it will give readings 300 fps faster than a given load usually shoots.
Most of the times I think it works o.k.
I have never checked the accuracy of it vs a high priced chrono, but I believe the data most times since it will give believable data for factory loads and most times the data is repeatable for a given load.

From what I have read, most chronos can be somewhat unreliable at times, until you get up in the higher priced models like $400-$500+.

With all that being said, I still use it every time I go to the range to shoot. Muzzle velocity is valuable data for the hand loader.

Good Luck

My first was a competition electronics chronograph. It OK at best. Reliability was my biggest issue. When it was working I would say it was pretty accurate. My biggest complaint is errors or not picking up the shots. I now use the Magneto Speed. So far it has been reliable and very easy to set up. I can set it up with out shutting down the firing line and inconveniencing other shooters. I agree it's the cats meow!

Those 100 dollar, or around there, jobs are pretty much junk. I've gone through 4 of 'em. Well, only three. . . Shot all of them. Kinda by mistake but nevertheless they still got shot.

Roy, it's a good thing I wasn't drinking coffee because I literally laughed out loud at this! I would agree though that it is valuable data...

Wow, it sounds as though the magneto is really the way to go. I'm the type of guy that I'd rather spend the extra now and have a quality, lasting product than to keep going cheap and end up paying as much or more on several garbage products.

Maybe I'll go halvsies with my dad on this one.

Wow, it sounds as though the magneto is really the way to go. I'm the type of guy that I'd rather spend the extra now and have a quality, lasting product than to keep going cheap and end up paying as much or more on several garbage products.

Maybe I'll go halvsies with my dad on this one.

You will not regret it and your Dad will thank you.

If you're gonna bank on what the chrono says you're gonna have to pony up some bucks.
Around 500 or so. . .
However, a chrono is not absolutely necessary. Darn handy but not a deal breaker if ya don't have one.
The magnetic on that mounts on the muzzle is the current cats meow.
However, technology moves on. There will be a doppler radar chrono on the market later this year.
Less than $500.00 (so far)
This one will me way more than handy.
If a couple of fellas get one each determination of bc will be come a piece of cake.
My Chrony hardly ever gets used anymore.

How can anyone with the total lack of ability displayed by shooting and hitting 4 different chrono's.....have the audacity to talk negatively about any of them???

I have a shooting Chrony....It does what I ask of it...measures bullet speeds

How can anyone with the total lack of ability displayed by shooting and hitting 4 different chrono's.....have the audacity to talk negatively about any of them???

I have a shooting Chrony....It does what I ask of it...measures bullet speeds

I suspect Roy shot each one on purpose, after he realized the measured bullet speeds were so inaccurate that they were wasting his time, and money. You can use a piece of cardboard to confirm a bullet left the muzzle. That's about all these units are good for.

I have had several, the Chornys are adequate. You just have to ensure you are precise in the set up, same distance, same angle shot through, ensure unit is level and pray for the same light conditions. I even taped lines on the bars. Now that I just wrote that, thank god I bought that Magneto Speed, think I will lend my Chrony to Roy.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.