Chronograph or not for reloading?

I am a pretty new reloader, and have had really good results on 5 rifles.

I am curious as to your thoughts on a chronograph's benefits to load development only. I do not shoot long range currently. Really, 300 yards and under, although, someday I would like to.

I am considering a Magnetospeed Sporter for saving components (Sattey) and safety. Currently, I have been doing seating depth at 100 yards and the powder charge at 100.

Let me know what you all think?

Thanks,
Steve
It's nice to know that your loads are as close to the same FPS as possible

When I punch in the difference in drop at 600 yards with 205 bergers @ 2750 or 2800 it has a difference of 3 inches so 1 1/2 spread if your es/ds isn't awesome. Shooting the difference is pretty tough from my experience

"although someday I would like to" A chrono is not necessary to develope an accurate load. However, once you have an accurate load, knowing your muzzle velocity and BC, will open up your "longer range" opportunities. Muzzle velocity and BC are two critical pieces of knowledge, for efficient long range and ELR shooting.

I always use a chrono when load testing. Matching up speed, ES and SD to the group size helps to give me a much better picture of what is going on with a particular load. A chrono will open your eyes as to what the load is really doing.

As far as the magnetospeed, it's OK if you just want to know the bullet speed. But IMO hanging anything (except a can or brake) on the barrel will affect accuracy. I shoot over an Oehler 33. A little bit of a hassle to set up but it gives very accurate readings.

I am a pretty new reloader, and have had really good results on 5 rifles.

I am curious as to your thoughts on a chronograph's benefits to load development only. I do not shoot long range currently. Really, 300 yards and under, although, someday I would like to.

I am considering a Magnetospeed Sporter for saving components (Sattey) and safety. Currently, I have been doing seating depth at 100 yards and the powder charge at 100.

Let me know what you all think?

Thanks,
Steve
I've been reloading since age 16 (now 69), also with good results for many different rifles and handguns and never have had or used a chronograph. I looked into them in my twenties and thought they were reasonably priced, but never got one. That is why I enjoy this site so well and look at my emails to see discussions that interest me. I await the comments.

The my first four years I reloaded without chronograph. My gunsmith kept telling me that my reloading process was not complete without a chronograph. When I finally purchased one I realized what he meant. Now my load development is faster and more exact. I start my load development with a three shot ladder test to find the best high node. Next I focus on the node and further refine it. For the final step I do a bullet seating test. This method has helped me achieve a higher velocity node with low SD and ES and good accuracy. By doing this I save time, components and achieve great results

I consider reloading an enjoyable hobby and the tools used to make it more interesting are part of it. Get the Sportsman as it's a reliable piece of gear that will add to your knowledge base in reloading and what's actually going on with your particular equipment. As was pointed out above it will change your POI slightly but generally speaking group size isn't affected.