Christensen Ridgeline quality / accuracy?

I am looking for a new rifle in 7mm-08. Love the caliber for most of my midwest hunting needs. I found a Christensen Ridgeline at a pretty decent price but am hesitant due to a lot of naysayers on the forums. Some people really like the rifle and others wouldn't touch it. This will be a hunting rifle and I rarely shoot over 300 yds, so I am leaning towards taking a chance. I know I may have opened a can of worms here but would like some honest opinions. I heard that CA did have quality issues in the past, but are now putting out better quality rifles.
I have a 24in Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and a 20 in. 6.5 Creed. Since I'm in California, my load testing only used mono's but I found good loads using 124gr Hammer Hunter for the PRC and 123gr Absolute Hunter for the Creed. The Creed put both hog and vension in my freezer last fall. My only issue with quality was that the factory "spot bedding" is a poor solution. Found that out at the range when I noticed the PRC action screws were loose..... the spot bedding had broken up and moved into the barrel channel. Not a problem for me because I'm well accustomed to bedding an action. With that done, both are welcome to stay in my gun safe.

I have 2 ridgelines 7 mag and a 6.5cm both are very accurate and handle well in the field
20210813_193649.jpg
20191005_193212.jpg

I have a 300wsm its great. But there are some things to know. It uses stronger than standard ejector springs, which will leave mark on cases making it look like over pressure even on factory rounds. CA told me its just that no pressure, but that makes it hard to determine if there is real pressure for my handloads. Everything is really tight when new, takes a few hundred rounds to smooth out. My gun is very accurate under hunting conditions, fast 2 or 3 shots. but after that starts walking shots due to barrel heat. I can shoot .5 moa if 2 shots fast and wait 10 mins for barrel cool and then 3rd shot. If I shoot 3 fast shots 3rd shot will walk about 3/4" from first 2. 1st 2 are always touching if I do my part.

I have a Ridgeline in 280AI. Got it used. Prior owner had taken some bedding out and caused forend-barrel contact. It is now properly bedded and the barrel channel repaired. I had to shoot it before the repair; 3 of four shots touching. After the repair, it shoots one hole groups. And I lucked out, but this without any work in load development. Fireformed '06 brass. 162sst .040 off lands. 2950fps
Im sure I can get more speed, and will try, but this is the best shooter I have. Do consider it wears a NXS 5.5-22, but for any mobile hunting I will put in a 2-12 vx6.
The bolt lift takes a little more force than I like at the end of the lift. Its just a geometry thing; not a deal breaker.
I am super happy with it. As I tell all my customers: try one before you buy one!

Second point, regarding the accuracy issues with the Ridgeline.

It is my understanding that CA got a bad batch of bbls from Proof.

Scchiit happens when you start mass producing anything.

I blame Proof for poor QC for starters.

Secondly, I also blame CA for not checking the quality of the components they receive from suppliers.

Poor management, and/or bean counters cutting corners to meet orders. Wonder how that all worked out for them ?

What happened to LAW, and put them out of business. Scchhiit bbls from Green Mountain on certain calibers. I know, I had one. Cost them dearly to fix those in terms of $$$, and reputation.

Reputation Is very fragile as is apparent from the OP. Good and bad news travels at the speed of light.....
I have been selling these for more than a decade without problems. Proof has never sold a barrel to CA they are all made in house. Poor quality control is not a issue. You say that but have you ever been into the factory in Gunnison Ut? Your info is flawed. When shooting factory ammo you are in a crap shoot. Hand loads can make almost any rifle accurate. The real problem is most people can't shoot sub MOA regardless of the rifle being used. But these companies put a MOA guarantee on the rifle. Only to get them back with complaints they don't shoot sub MOA. Then hand them to their in house shooters and it shoots great. I seen this at CA factory as well as Fierce. At least Fierce let's you know what ammo to use in the rifle you bought. "For a extra fee" or upgraded rifles.

If YOU like the rifle, go for it. My Ridgeline 7RM shoots tiny, one-hole groups with factory ammo. Can't guarantee there aren't some out there with problems, but that's a possibility with any factory produced product.

I have one and it shoots awesome. I changed the bedding from the factory as they only "spot bed. I skim bedded the entire action and it improved accuracy. I also have a Surefire Can I run on it so the MB it came with has been changed. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at a good price. Mine was also very easy to develop a load for. I hear people complain about them sometime and I wonder why would someone buy a rifle for $1700-2300 and then run a $17-$22 dollar box of factory ammo in it. Feed it what it deserves.

Last edited:
I load for two 6.5PRC Ridglines. I load 124HH and 147ELDM, they shoot as well as my custom 7MM. My brother went to purchase a new Ridgline in 6.5PRC and the store tried to talk him out of it. I'm not appose to other brands, I told my brother I'm sure the other gun is great. I only have experience with these two. I did have the spot bedding in front of my recoil lug fall out. I believe it was due to shooting the gun with a loose stock without realizing it. After resetting the zero it still shot great, I bedded the rifle anyway. During my bed job I lost the bolt release lever spring. I wrote Christensen asking to purchase a new spring, they sent me the complete release assembly free in a couple days. Very happy with the service and the guns.

Own two, both took some break in before they started to really shoot. Both now are excellent. Don't listen to crap you hear about bad barrels. Every gun manufacturer has problems with something. But their customer service is top notch. Just follow break in instructions.

Attachments

• 20220121_153516.jpg
    20220121_153516.jpg
    555.5 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220130_154212.jpg
    20220130_154212.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 66
Best advice I can offer...you don't like it sell and try something different. I buy guns to shoot, to keep, to never sell....but I sold a Ridgeline!

I own a Ridgeline in .280AI going on 3 years. Broke barrel in and was giving me problems shooting to my expectations. It would shoot MOA but that's not good enough for hand loads. Finally after almost 200 rounds, it came alive. Now shoots .5-.75 consistently.

I have one in 7RM and it shoots both factory ammo and my reloads very well. Factory ammo was about .75 moa, reloads around .5 moa. Mine had a fairly heavy bolt lift new and has lightened up with use. This is a light rifle and shooting long range I have to be solid and really focus on shooting form and follow through. I did have my gunsmith spin me on a new muzzle break and I added a larger bolt knob. Mine is a keeper. Hope this helps, Jason

I am 100% positive with my Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. Eldex 143 grainers go .625"@100 yards all day. I think some of the mediocre accuracy comes from some owners not doing the 60 shot break in that CA strongly recommends. I did it and at 50 rounds or so it really started to shine. I shot several one hole groups at .4 to .6"! Gun is two years old.

Recent Posts