Christensen Ridgeline

SteveO

Best I can tell, the 6.5-284 is built on the long action. I'm not ready to step up to the 26 Nosler...is there any reason I could not rechamber the 6.5-284 to a 264 Win Mag? I'd have a 26" 1:8" twist barrel w/brake.

Why not the 7 Rem Mag with a 162 or 168? the ballistics will be almost identical with a little more energy and only slightly more recoil(which will be negligible with a brake). The 7 will also have more versatility.

Maybe a silly question but what is wrong with a 6.5/284? Going to a 264 win mag will only get you ~200fps best case scenario over the 6.5/284. I have both 264 win mag and 6.5/06 (ballistically nearly identical to the 6.5/284) There is nothing wrong with a 140g class bullet at 2,950-3,000 fps. I shoot my 6.5/06
rifles quite a bit more often than my 264 win mag. I like both, for different reasons but if I had to choose I'd take the 6.5/284 over the 264 win mag. But to each his own I guess

No silly questions from you guys; just have wanted a 264 for a while and thought the Ridgeline might be an easy project. Nothing wrong with any of the suggestions and I thank you all for the input!

I love my 6.5x284, in my opinion any more velocity from a 6.5 is just torching the barrel for bragging rights. Speed has undeniable benefits, but there's always a price to pay .

No silly questions from you guys; just have wanted a 264 for a while and thought the Ridgeline might be an easy project. Nothing wrong with any of the suggestions and I thank you all for the input!

If you want a .264 win mag you should have one built. You will regret not doing it. I had one built last year after many people telling me "why don't you just have a 7mag built instead? It will do this or that better". Mine slings a 140 grain Berger at 3230 fps with a .247 group and hits like a hammer with mild recoil. I would not be afraid to shoot anything up to and including the size of elk with it at any distance that I am capable of shooting.

If you want a .264 win mag you should have one built. You will regret not doing it. I had one built last year after many people telling me "why don't you just have a 7mag built instead? It will do this or that better". Mine slings a 140 grain Berger at 3230 fps with a .247 group and hits like a hammer with mild recoil. I would not be afraid to shoot anything up to and including the size of elk with it at any distance that I am capable of shooting.

I hear ya...I have a Blaser R8; I may pick up a 6.5-284 barrel for that and rechamber it, or have Elmer build me a 264 barrel for it.

Could do a 6.5 Sherman. Mine with a 28" Brux will run with the 264 Win Mag. 140 Berger at 3339 fps using N570. Brass prep is obviously more than the 264; but if you have the long action and correct bolt face already this is what I would do.

Could do a 6.5 Sherman. Mine with a 28" Brux will run with the 264 Win Mag. 140 Berger at 3339 fps using N570. Brass prep is obviously more than the 264; but if you have the long action and correct bolt face already this is what I would do.

I like this idea since you could convert your current rifle by just having it rechambered. Assuming the current rifle has no problems should be pretty inexpensive.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.