Chris Mathews

257speed

Chris, we lost you on one of the other posts, several of us wanted your input on stress free bedding scope bases with epoxy. Please help, Thanks

Match,

you're right, we are trying to get a hold of Chris Mattews the gunsmith, but we do welcome you to long range hunting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I say " we " because I'm sure most of us feel the same way. There's a bunch of good folks in this forum. WELCOME!

Javier O Moncada.

Sorry for the delay guys.....been really busy and I don't make it on the board every day.....

Anyway the key to bedding a base is don't pull the screws down tight and bend the base to the action- that would be inducing stress as I stated before and you wouldn't gain a thing.
So to do it right.......you need a straight edge (a metal machinist ruler works well). Go through the routine to bed and then put in the screws- just get them started....and then tighten front and back down checking the "straightness" of the base by placing the straight edge on top of the base and looking for gaps/light showing. Tighten the appropriate screw down until the base is pulled straight and then stop there and let the bedding set up. This method gives you a perfectly straight base for an action that is a little out of spec. (Most likely the rear bridge of the action is too low and would arch the base upwards if the screws where to torqued down.)
This can be done with two piece bases also but is a little bit more difficult for obvious reasons.

I'm missing something here? Are you suggesting Devcon or something similiar under the base as a filler, and then tightening the base screws after it cures?

Good hunting. LB

LB,
if I am understanding it right, you do exactly what Chris said and let it dry, any gaps and irregularities that would induce stress would be filled and when dried you put the right torque on those screws and the base will remain straight and stress free.

You apply the bedding compound...Devcon Marine Tex, what ever- tighten the screws down while checking the with a straight edge and let it cure.....then after it is cured torque the screws to the proper setting (15 inch pounds) and you base is straight, tight and stress free.

Got it; thanks.

Very good solution, beats machining. Have you ever had the epoxy (I like the K-poxy titanium) get on the screws? Some epoxys have an affinity for oils or silicones.

Good hunting. LB

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.