Choosing The Right Optics

snakebite13

Living in Montana lets me enjoy some of the best prairie dog shooting around. I have a small ranch and raise cattle and horses with my wife of 22 years. We both enjoy fishing together. I am a retired carpenter and have been hunting and shooting all my life here in Montana and many other states. I can say I have dusted a dog at over 6oo yards with a 22/250. Long range is a blast to shoot. I have several articles and bloggs on optics from night vision to long range and will attach one to this article to invite you to see another opinion on shooting. I look forward to your feed back.

What you need to know to purchase the right scope can be a difficult process unless you know what to look for. When looking for the best deer hunting rifle scope, it is important to review what the important needs are in the scope itself. You need to consider two major areas when evaluating the purchase of a hunting rifle scope, performance , and cost. A hunter should consider the terrain that they intend to hunt in before even purchasing the rifle as well as the optics. After purchasing the right rifle you need to consider purchasing an entry -level hunting scope in the couple of hundred dollars range up to exceptionally sophisticated scopes costing thousands of dollars or even a night vision scope if the type of hunting you want to do takes you late into the evening hours.
The first thing to know is the market is very competitive and there are no real bargains on the top of the line optics. Once you know what to look for it is easy to compare prices on the internet on sites such as USA Greatest Optics. Rifle scopes are also one of those pieces of equipment where you get what you pay for. Trying to getting a good scope for your money means knowing what to look for based on what you will use it for.
Most hunters do not need the most expensive rifles scope on the market and a middle of the road scope can be the best for your type of shooting. I will repeat that with rifle scopes you really get what you pay for therefore if you cannot afford the best stay away from the inexpensive scopes and try to buy in the middle range and purchase a specific scope to your needs. If you have to make a choice, you will be better off purchasing a less expensive or medium priced rifle and getting a higher quality rifle scope. The only difference between say a 7mm and another 7mm is the company that makes it. Try not to just but the name, there are quality gun makers and reasonable prices.
Based on the conditions you will be shooting in is how much light you need. The larger more expensive optics while providing greater light gather capabilities and allowing you to have better vision in darker environments. The larger the scope the heavier it is and heavier may need to be what you can carry for long walks. The larger scope also requires the scope to be mounted high enough to clear the barrel. What this means is that you may need to have a high comb on your stock or lift your head off the stock to obtain a proper sight plane . The benefit of the more expensive, higher quality scopes may not be worth the cost of the possible adjustments you may have to make for your mounting. It would be very rare that you would need an objective lens larger than 44mm. The more common recommended range is to purchase an objective from 36mm to 42mm or in plain language just a 4 to 6 power scope will be enough.
The conditions under which you will be hunting as stated earlier, the type of game you will be hunting and other factors such as the land scape need to be considered to help you make valuable decisions on the magnification you will need in your rifle scope. Varmint hunting and very long- range shooting requires a more powerful magnification in your scope, and this may be where night- vision comes into play. Big game hunting does not require a very high powered scope and in fact, most hunters are usually over scoped for hunting.
For most big game hunting you will likely only need a magnification of no greater than 10X. For most hunters, magnification variables 3X - 9X or even 3.5X - 10X are all plenty of magnification required for big game hunting. You may not need a variable optic scope at all if most of your shooting is going to be at 200 yards or less. A quality fixed 4X scope offer's all the magnification you will need for big game hunting and is very simple and is a most reliable and durable scope.
So when shopping for your next hunting rifle scope, there is no need to purchase the most powerful or most expensive scope available in your price range. By considering the above factors, the conditions under which you will be hunting and the type of game you will hunting should help you make a better informed decision for the right optics you will want. Here at USA Greatest Optics, we are all about the right decision and the best optics so give us look for your next scope.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.