Choosing a stock

T Shot

I recently decided to take the plunge and build my first semi custom rifle! Several months from now i will have to barreled action back and I will be fitting the rest myself. My main concern is finding a good "lighter"weight hunting stock (not wood) that will fit the contour of the barrel I selected because I don't want to spend $600 on a McMillan and have it custom inleted. I have looked into some of the HS precision and B&C stocks for starters but am not sure if fitment will be great. This rifle will be a general carry rifle that will mainly be hunting whitetails and shooting at the range. So I'm looking for a stock that wouldn't be too heavy and allow a #5 contour to fit. Thanks in advance.

Barreled action specs:
Trued Remington 700
Krieger #5 fluted finished at 24"
270wsm

I am currently doing a build on a Wildcat composite. This may be right up your alley. I went this route because I wanted a project and have never finished a stock before. The Wildcat stock comes as a raw blank which needs to be sanded down and prepped for paint. They are very light but do not expect a drop in ready to go stock like a McMillan or Manners. I went with a Carbon fiber fore end and it was 17.4 oz as a blank. Will get a bit heavier after bedding paint/dipping etc. If you are uncomfortable finishing it they will do it for you at a reasonable cost. Located in Sherwood Park Alberta Canada. If you Google Wildcat composites their site should come up. They also have a facebook page with some good pictures. You would need to remove some material for the #5 barrel; they all come with sporter barrel channels other than there VAR/TAC model.

Those wildcat composites look interesting, the only thing I question is the comb drop. I like a high comb, I'd have to put a cheek piece on the wildcats.

SA rem (if that is what you have) should be easy to find a used stock, manners and mcmillan will be inletted so no need to anticipate an additional charge. Check out their ready to ship stocks. I really like the looks of that game hunter.

https://mcmillanusa.com/product-category/special-stocks/special-remington/

They were developing an adjustable cheek piece. Not sure if it is in production already. I do agree and wish they had a higher comb. A few different models would be nice as well.

Thanks for the info on the Wildcat stock, but I'm not the best when it comes to painting.... Iv been down that road before. Although I'm more concerned about the barrel channel not being too large or too small. How hard is it to hand fit the barrel if the channel is too narrow for my barrel. Also I was hoping to find something a little cheaper than a McMillan or Manners but if I can't find anything else I may have to do that. Thanks for the input so far.

I have used a dowel with sand paper wrapped around it. It is not a fast process, but is not difficult to do. You remove some material then try to fit the barrel. If more is needed repeat. Have you looked at any offerings from BOYDS or STOCKY'S? They might have something you like and are priced more affordable.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.