Choosing a new stock - some thoughts

Litehiker

In the past several years I've purchased new stocks for rifles I own.
1. folding polymer stock for stainless 10/22
2. laminated thumbhole stock for Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker (A Browning factory stock)
3. Boyd's Classic laminated stock for my Ruer American Predator
4. Boyd's laminated stock and fore end for Savage 99 C lever gun
* Possible purchase of an AMD TAC 21 chassis for my Rem-actioned HS Precision .300 Win mag target rifle.

So you could say I have had some experience in aftermarket stock replacement.

Some thoughts on each:
->The 10/22 stock swap was easy and required no bedding, natch.
->Browning's thumbhole stock is meant for target use and is HEAVY! I bedded it with Marine-Tex.
->Boyd's makes some very nice laminated stocks and their laser cut checkering is ultra precise and well worth the extra money. My fish scale checkering in the laminated Classic RAP stock is perfect. Bedding with J-B Weld or Marine-Tex is necessary for the Ruger American V-blocks and the Savage 99 tang area. Yes, laminated stocks run heavier than solid wood and much heavier than plastic stocks (average 1 lb. more) but they are very durable, weather resistant and look great.
->The AMD TAC 21 chassis is very much like my Ruger Precision Rifle chassis in that it permits the bolt to run back onto the stock attachment. **This puts the barrel and thus the recoil in line with the butt stock and reduces muzzle lift.

I bought aftermarket stocks B/C I wanted a better fit, a better look and feel and in some cases, more accuracy. They all delivered on all counts. The Browning and Boyd's bolt action stocks fit better with cheek rests and high combs for better and faster scope-to eye placement.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.