Choose between Monarch and Vortex??

Climbhard

I'm down to two scopes, (a) Monarch 4-16x50 BDC and (b) Viper HS 4-16x44 dead hold recticle. The use would be predator / varmint on my AR inside 500 yards. Both will let me range witht he know MOA markings on the recticle as well as give me quick hold over on targets of opportunity. Both will let me dial MOA when shooting PD. The Nikon is a 50mm/1" and the Vortex is a 44mm/30mm design. The important criteria are:
1) pre-dawn / dusk light gathering
2) optic quality
3) turrets design / repeatability / accuracy

Which would you choose? Why?

I'm down to two scopes, (a) Monarch 4-16x50 BDC and (b) Viper HS 4-16x44 dead hold recticle. The use would be predator / varmint on my AR inside 500 yards. Both will let me range witht he know MOA markings on the recticle as well as give me quick hold over on targets of opportunity. Both will let me dial MOA when shooting PD. The Nikon is a 50mm/1" and the Vortex is a 44mm/30mm design. The important criteria are:
1) pre-dawn / dusk light gathering
2) optic quality
3) turrets design / repeatability / accuracy

Which would you choose? Why?

Not to knock a Nikon, but all the refurbished ones I see for sale on the internet kinda scare me and I had a friend who had problems with his and after 6 weeks when it was finally replaced he canned it for a sightron. Nikon is not know for their CS...Vortex all the way if that is your choices. Although I think the glass may be a little better in the Nikon. Keep in mind that the Obj. plays a bigger part in light gathering then the size of the body does. (which really does not at all, it only increases the amount of adj.)

Jon

Why would you be stuck between two 4-16's but one with the 44obj and the other 50? Why not get the 4-16x50 Viper HS? gun)

vortex has been incredible for me. i have yet to loose a click and i think the glass is incredible for the price. Never had to use their customer service but i have never seen a complaint from anyone who has.

Nikon has good value but i have never been impressed with their customer service.

Vortex all the way! I purchased a vortex viper 6.5-20x44mm at christmas and put it on my 243. win varmint rifle for coyote and long range targets and it has worked fantastic. It has shot groups from 7/16" at 100 yards all day long and i have taken it all the way out too 500 yards without any issues. Best part is tracking is repeatable and reliable.

I just recently purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm FFP for my big game hunting rifle and i cant wait for it to arrive!! i shipped it too a buddies place cause im in between places so im just waiting to pick it up from his place!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.