Choosing between 3 Leupolds. Opinions please....

Holding windage or elevation with duplex reticles, in SFP scopes has never worked all that well for me.
The concept of velocity reticles, and windplex reference points, in SFP scopes just hasn't worked me.

You guys are all tracking. Just what I wanted. I had initially thought I wanted the 4.5x14x40 LR with CDS, side focus, which gets you the 30mm tube (which could be over rated unless you need the adjustment) and duplex. I'm staying with the VX3i for sure and 40mm objective. I believe the VX3i glass will gather plenty of light in a 40mm. The 30mm tube add weight. 4-5 ounces. Now that doesn't sound like much, but as many of you know it can be. I honestly think I can and have used the adjustable objective and stay on target. I'm still torn between the 1" tube and 30mm tube. I too wish Leupold would offer a reticle with 2 moa horizontal hash marks. May have to go Windplex. I may have to go with 170703 or the windplex version.

You guys are all tracking. Just what I wanted. I had initially thought I wanted the 4.5x14x40 LR with CDS, side focus, which gets you the 30mm tube (which could be over rated unless you need the adjustment) and duplex. I'm staying with the VX3i for sure and 40mm objective. I believe the VX3i glass will gather plenty of light in a 40mm. The 30mm tube add weight. 4-5 ounces. Now that doesn't sound like much, but as many of you know it can be. I honestly think I can and have used the adjustable objective and stay on target. I'm still torn between the 1" tube and 30mm tube. I too wish Leupold would offer a reticle with 2 moa horizontal hash marks. May have to go Windplex. I may have to go with 170703 or the windplex version.
We have the 4.5-14x40, 30mm with windplex on my son's rifle. I have the 3-18 vx6 with firedot and windplex.

We've used these in precision rifle courses and, just recently, in colorado, hunting and rock busting.

On the 30mm 3xi, I would recommend that route as it has so much elevation adjustment (110ish MOA IIRC), that we did not need to put a canted rail on my son's rifle, which allowed us to use Talley ultralights and save weight verses MOA rail and rings.

We were shooting out to 1250 and he had plenty of elevation to get there.

Concerning windplex, I question how visible those marks will be at the last of the day. Can't really see the 2 MOA ones on my Vortex HST either though, but maybe that's just me. I will tell you that in decent light, we found them very useful. Though we can both dial for elevation and windage, we found it convenient to hold for windage using the hash marks. Also, when spotting shots for eachother, they were especially useful so I could tell him how much he was off on impacts. In fact, I may very well send both scopes back to Leupold and ask them to add marks on the vertical as well. (Wish my VX6 had TMOA, but they did not offer illuminated TMOA until the new HD's, and claim it cannot retrofit).

If you can step up to the VX6, (either used or find a closeout on the original like I did), you will be giving up adjustment range and adding weight, but you will gain brighter and clearer optics (not that the 3i is some slouch though!). But to me, one of the most useful additions on the VX6 are Leupolds two turn locking turrets. Push button to unlock and you get 38 or 39 MOA of adjustment before it hits a stop. Turn it back and it stops at your zero. You never get lost and you have enough elevation for well past 1k for most rifles.

My son had a moment where he forgot to return to zero after shooting at 1k or so...fortunately, we could tell the he had dialed in elevation so we knew to give it a full turn to rTZ. But that coulda sucked so I wish the VX3i had a zero stop or at least hash marks showing turret turns. And I do like locking turrets, have had mine 'bumped' before.

Hope that helps!

+1 for Can Hunter's suggestion of VX-5 3-15 w/ impact. I know it's an upsell, but if you are serious about getting past 400yd, I think a good reticle will make it a lot easier.

I have shot using duplex Reticles almost exclusively for 30 years, and have only recently started feeling limited when hunting. Hell Ya I hold wind with a duplex - at 8x I know my thick posts are 3moa out from center. It's great to ~350yd. OTOH, Having to pass on a shot I want to take is a tough feeling. it's not as tough spoiling or wounding an animal. I'm pretty new to the 500+ game, but as a newb I can't stress enough the importance of a good reticle.

Catorres1
Thanks for those comments. Very practical.
It's very hard to find a reticle that fits everyone. I like the CDS system. To me if Leupold would simply offer clear 2 moa hashes for the windage we'd be in good shape in combination with the CDS dial.
Appreciate what you said about the 30mm tube. Makes great sense.

One thing you might look into, Leupold custom shop can do various things with reticles including, IIRC, custom hold points for your particular gun/cartridge. While I would not recommend that particular solution, I can't see why they could not just put 2 MOA marks if that works better for you. My VX6 was a duplex cds scope with firedot when I got it (on closeout, super cheap). I sent it in and had them switch it to windplex and then add two turn locks (split turn for windage), and it was not much money at all.

Might chat with them before you make a decision, maybe you can have just exactly what you are looking for, for just a little more money.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.