Choose a barrel:

I have both but have different hunt styles for them . Heavy Palma Kreiger for my super long range shooting . The Carbons for hunting high in the Mountains..here is a few of them .
20190203_134441.jpg

Rum Man

I have built and rebarreled a lot of rifles. I like heavier taper Brux and Bartlein barrels if weight is not a factor. I like proof for light weight hunting rifles that will be carried a long ways. Cut rifled barrels seem to shoot more consistently as they heat up in my experience. Just my humble opinion.

If you were contemplating another high volume varmint rifle (.223) Would you go with a carbon fiber (Proof) type barrel, or old school steel like a Bartlein?

Weight really isn't more than a minor issue.

There will be many recommendations but based on your post, My recommendation would be A vary large, homogeneous barrel, with 3 groves (The lands are wider and wear less because of the surface area) And in my experience with 3 grove barrels are that they are a little faster allowing for a reduced powder charge that can lower the heat input to the barrel. I would also have it fluted for better cooling (Not weight saving). As for the barrel material, I would chose Stainless because of it's toughness and wear characteristics.

Any premium barrel Brand should shoot well if it is a heavy straight taper with a shank dia. of 1.250 and a muzzle diameter of at least .900+. Also hold the barrel length to 20 to 22 inches for rigidity.

I would also recommend a strong target stock for fore end strength to hold the By-Pod.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
....My recommendation would be A vary large, homogeneous barrel, with 3 groves (The lands are wider and wear less because of the surface area) And in my experience with 3 grove barrels are that they are a little faster allowing for a reduced powder charge that can lower the heat input to the barrel. I would also have it fluted for better cooling (Not weight saving). As for the barrel material, I would chose Stainless because of it's toughness and wear characteristics.

Any premium barrel Brand should shoot well if it is a heavy straight taper with a shank dia. of 1.250 and a muzzle diameter of at least .900+. Also hold the barrel length to 20 to 22 inches for rigidity.

I would also recommend a strong target stock for fore end strength to hold the By-. Pod.........J E CUSTOM

Amen on the stock! Thank you for plugging in specifics.

Generally shooting sage rats lends itself to solid front rests, from benches set up in the field. Shots under 200 yards are usual, it's a volume game. Last trip we got home with 18 pounds of .223 brass (1 rifle 2 days) not counting .17 HMR.

The above sounds like a balanced approach.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.