Choose a barrel:

HARPERC

If you were contemplating another high volume varmint rifle (.223) Would you go with a carbon fiber (Proof) type barrel, or old school steel like a Bartlein?

Weight really isn't more than a minor issue.

Last edited:
I'm on my second Christensen arms barrel. I have enjoyed them both. The only reason I would own one is for weight. So if weight is not an issue I'd go with steel.

Good news is there isn't a wrong answer either way.

If high volume shooting like P-dog towns, I would go with steel fluted, and even if not high volume and weight is no factor, steel. I have numerous medium and heavy varmint rigs based on steel barrels, and since most are wearing bipods or used from a set of shooting sticks, their weight has only been a stability advantage for me.

I have a proof and in this instance would just go steel.
The poi does remain consistent even on a ten shot string so it would work

On my next varmint rig, I'm going to go with a very heavy steel contour and flute the heck out of it for increased surface area for cooling. Those barrels get hot.

If weight is of no concern, I would definitely go the way of a Bartlien or a Krieger. On my rigs I haven't noticed that fluting helps a heck of a lot. IMO it's better to invest in a decent barrel cooler.

If you were contemplating another high volume varmint rifle (.223) Would you go with a carbon fiber (Proof) type barrel, or old school steel like a Bartlein?

Weight really isn't more than a minor issue.
I would go with a flutted steel barrel if weight is not a factor. I have proof barrels and bartlien and the bartlien will shoot more accurately especially after heating up.

If this is a high volume Varmint rifle, and weight isn't a big deal. I would get the heaviest barrel you feel comfortable with. Fluting wouldn't be something I would do if weight wasn't an issue. I also wouldn't be putting a carbon wrapped barrel on a high volume rifle.

There's a lot of good barrels out there right now. I prefer Bartleins, but Krieger, Brux, Hart, Benchmark, Broughton, Lilja, and a few others are all premier top tier barrel makers. Find one in the contour and twist you want and buy what's in stock. Don't get too caught up in brand. When you find a maker that works for you, then you can choose to stick with them for your next project, or try another top barrel manufacture.

Thanks guys! I think I just have the bug to try a carbon type barrel. I was sitting here with a potential donor in hand. i'll look at another project for the Proof.
I like my proof carbon. It is light. I'm just not sure its worth the extra money. They tend to walk when the barrel gets hot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.