Choate Rifle Stocks?

John Blaner

Does anyone have experience with CHOATE rifle stocks?

I'm currently building a 28 Nosler (Defiance action, Bartlien barrel, McMillan A-5-etc) so after spending a lot of money on this build, I'm wanting to build a 6 x47 Lapua on a budget.

I have a 30/yr old 6mm Rem BDL that has never shot very well, so I'm going to use the action.

So here's the plan

· Blueprint the 700 action

· Bartlien 26" Rem. Varmint/Sendero 1/8 twist

· Jewell Trigger

So I have two questions:

· Does anyone have experience with Choate stocks (Tactical Remington Short Action Stock BDL}

They are only: $270

· Will the bottom metal from my BDL work on this build?

Any help or advice would be appreciated

91D4C3E5-23BE-471B-8C31-76ADA225F4B6.jpeg
This is a Savage LRH Choate Tactical. It's built heavy, with a full length bedding block/chassis running the entire length of the stock. I will buy another.

Lots of experience with CMT. I still have them on 2 of my rifles but that's specifically for the fact that they're insanely heavy and I was trying to mitigate recoil with mass.

Bedding block setup in CMT stocks is good stuff, fit and finish is fine in every stock of theirs I've touched. The thing with CMT's is they're absurdly heavy in most designs, especially the "Ultimate blah blah" line.

My question is why you're cheaping out right here when you had the chance to do it all right. You got a great top shelf barrel, top shelf trigger, top shelf bp'ing of the action... you've got a full top shelf build in the making. Don't get cheap on the stick. A couple hundred bucks more and you're in proper aftermarket stock territory and you'll thank us. Look at McMillan and Manners if you want that more classic look. Otherwise, any of the chassis makers (XLR, MDT, MPA, etc...) make fantastic stocks to fit your remmy action. It's not like I'm saying CMT's suck but if you want something better, then lighter is better and about every other option is lighter.

HTH.

Lots of experience with CMT. I still have them on 2 of my rifles but that's specifically for the fact that they're insanely heavy and I was trying to mitigate recoil with mass.

Bedding block setup in CMT stocks is good stuff, fit and finish is fine in every stock of theirs I've touched. The thing with CMT's is they're absurdly heavy in most designs, especially the "Ultimate blah blah" line.

My question is why you're cheaping out right here when you had the chance to do it all right. You got a great top shelf barrel, top shelf trigger, top shelf bp'ing of the action... you've got a full top shelf build in the making. Don't get cheap on the stick. A couple hundred bucks more and you're in proper aftermarket stock territory and you'll thank us. Look at McMillan and Manners if you want that more classic look. Otherwise, any of the chassis makers (XLR, MDT, MPA, etc...) make fantastic stocks to fit your remmy action. It's not like I'm saying CMT's suck but if you want something better, then lighter is better and about every other option is lighter.

HTH.
Yeah, i thought about that too. I just don't think there is anyway to cut corners and be happy at the end of the day. now i'm up in the air about trueing the action, or buying a new one?

Last edited:
If you're building on the cheap, they're great stocks. they aren't for small hands, as the rubber material they use is cast thick and heavy, but not overly so. I have one on my savage long action 284 build. It's heavy. The bedding block/internal chassis is superb and very solid. There is no flex what so ever in any part of the stock. For the price, you're on the right track. They can come with an anschutz rail in the fore end which helps with accessory mounting and lateral adjustment of accessories.

I have a Choate on a savage 6.5 creedmoor, it is heavy but shoots very well. If the gun is a bench gun or varmint rifle go for it, if its for hunting I suggest going elsewhere.

My budget rifle built on a savage 6.5x47 wears the tactical stock model. The pistol grip is huge and I have smaller hands so didn't think I would like it but turns out it's very comfortable. The stock is heavy and solid with a bedding block that would probably be fine as is, but I skim bedded it. Running ptg dbm setup with a bartlien bbl and it shoots as well as my customs.

Check out this article
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek096.html

Thanks for all the info and pictures. i'm not concerned about the weight because of the type of shooting i do.
I actually like a bigger pistol grip, it helps me get better trigger finger placement.

Yeah, i thought about that too. I just don't think there is anyway to cut corners and be happy at the end of the day. now i'm up in the air about trueing the action, or buying a new one?

Kinda a money situation there. If you've got 1200-1500 bucks burning a hole in the pocket or that's just not that much money to you, definitely get yourself an aftermarket action and don't feel restricted to the R700 pattern. There's a whole world out there. For me, that's a lot of moolah and while I'm in a place with my shooting that an aftermarket action might be appropriate, I'm still able to get tack-driving performance from more pedestrian, if well vetted, components.

Since you're wanting a budget 6x47 I'd suggest this (and have actually done it a number of times) as an option:

Grab a Savage short action (because of the floating bolt head, no need to have it trued) with an Accutrigger. Call up Columbia River Arms and ask them to cut you a 26" MTU contour pipe in 6x47 (I'm pretty sure they have a match reamer on hand). Grab a Choate tactical stock for Savage SA. Assemble barrel and action to zero headspace. Skim epoxy bed the action bottom, full epoxy the recoil lug, assemble and enjoy. That set of parts will easily provide a one-hole shooter and won't cost much and you don't need a gunsmith at all. Any idiot with a piece of virgin brass on hand and a bench vise can do it. You're looking at under a grand all in on the rifle itself from parts. Add glass & mounts and you're match ready.

Kinda a money situation there. If you've got 1200-1500 bucks burning a hole in the pocket or that's just not that much money to you, definitely get yourself an aftermarket action and don't feel restricted to the R700 pattern. There's a whole world out there. For me, that's a lot of moolah and while I'm in a place with my shooting that an aftermarket action might be appropriate, I'm still able to get tack-driving performance from more pedestrian, if well vetted, components.

Since you're wanting a budget 6x47 I'd suggest this (and have actually done it a number of times) as an option:

Grab a Savage short action (because of the floating bolt head, no need to have it trued) with an Accutrigger. Call up Columbia River Arms and ask them to cut you a 26" MTU contour pipe in 6x47 (I'm pretty sure they have a match reamer on hand). Grab a Choate tactical stock for Savage SA. Assemble barrel and action to zero headspace. Skim epoxy bed the action bottom, full epoxy the recoil lug, assemble and enjoy. That set of parts will easily provide a one-hole shooter and won't cost much and you don't need a gunsmith at all. Any idiot with a piece of virgin brass on hand and a bench vise can do it. You're looking at under a grand all in on the rifle itself from parts. Add glass & mounts and you're match ready.
Thanks, A lot of good information. I guess I've just always been Remington oriented as far as the actions. I'll take a look at the Savage. I hear a lot of good things about the Tikka actions too. when i first decided to do this build, i was trying to salvage the action from my 6mm rem.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.