choate stock?

samson

I am in the market for a new stock and am contemplating a choate, HS, or Mcmillan. I will be shooting off of an Ultimate Tripod. Are any of these more accurate than the other. If so, Why? I will be shooting a 300 win mag. Thanks for any help.

I have a choate ultimate varmint stock and I like it alot. It is on rem 700 sh. Its all in what you want but the choate is about $176.00 in brownells. The H.S. is about $300.00 and up. What ever stock you my get you my have to have some work done to it. The stock dose help on accurate some what alot of it in the action and the barrel.I had my action beded os the barrel is free floated. The reason I want with choate is the price.
smile.gif

I just dont know if the extra money for a Mcmillan or HS is worth it. Choate seems like a reasonable item.

I have two and have typed up a list of concerns on a couple of boards.

Pros:
1. Very strong construction
2. Cool tactical styling
3. Love the pistol grip
4. Good size and feel
5. Minimal cost/low risk for a new heavy duty stock
6. Lots of room to add weight if a heavy gun is your choice, I expoxied about 4 pound of lead shot in the forend and pistol grip of one of them.

Cons:
1. Too heavy to carry around
2. There are serrations on the btton of forend and bottom of the back of the stock. My front rest sand bag was conforming to the serrations and I felt like the stock was bumping up over the serrations each time I shot. I screwed flat pieces of aluminum to the bottom of the forend and bottom of the back of the stock so the stock would ride smotthly on the rests. This would not be a problem if one were to only shoot off of a bipod.
3. The aluminum bedding block is great, but my action and recoil lug did not sit squarely and make full contact. I bedded the entire action and recoil lug area in steel based expoy - Devcon to fix this.
4. The rail in the forend does not attach very securely. Broke the wing nut off in short order. That one screw just does give me the confience that the rail will stay in there.
5. The bottom of the back of the stock is flat and wide and does not fit on a conventional rear bag that well.

Just a few thoughts ...

Doug

Thanks for the input. I just talked to Sid goodling and I think he sold me on the Mcmillan stock.

DWM,
was able to take a look at your stock pics earlier today. can't right now.

how much weight were you able to add to the stock? how much does it weigh now?

do you know if this stock would be good for a high recoiling rifle like the 338 ultra mag?

for the price it seems like a great stock.

just bringing back an old post.

I just finally purchased a sendero in 300 ultra mag. have the choate ultimate sniper stock in olive green on order. I will be adding lead weight to it (bird shot). how do you epoxy this in?mix the birdshot with the epoxy and pour it in or first put the shot in the stock and pour epoxy over it?

what type of epoxy can be used?

Mix up the shot in the epoxy. Rough up the inside, or best to inlet area's to mechanically lock it in place. I think my brothers is completely full, grip and butt both. What he epoxied into the forend came loose, as he just dumped it in there.

I don't remember how much weight he was able to add to his.

Any epoxy should do the trick.

Brent, thanks for the info. how do you like this stock? do you find it really helped with handling recoil? did you have to do any bedding?
my stock was shipped today so I should get it in a few days. can't wait. this is very hard. have not shot this rifle yet.
did your epoxy soak into all lead areas or just form a coating plug? I am thinking of a couple tubes of Marine Glue. this stuff sticks to anything.
any other modifications to the stock that you felt were needed?

It was just bolted in, never skim bedded on Derricks. Dad skim bedded all his though.

Email me and I'll send you a pic of a "real" modified one.

Mods aren't really necessary, just preferance. The grip thinned and recontoured smaller in diameter at the top is all I'd do if I had one.

I'd stir the epoxy/glue up with the shot and make a so it looks like chocolate chip cookie dough that you went WAAAAAAY overboard on chocolate chips with
grin.gif
and apply it with what ever works to get it in there, a spoon or somethin.
It's going to set up and won't break loose unless you use too little glue. It's just an epoxy shot glob that bonds in place however you want it, just more flexible to use that way.

Recoil is reduced quite a bit, the muzzle brake was much more effective though. In conjunction, the 338/378 WBY shoots like a 243-308 though.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.