Rifle stocks

Clubhunter

Can someone explain what the difference would be in the quality of a HS Precision stock versus a Manner or McMillan. Just wondering what the benefit would be in changing my Remington Sendero stock to one of the mentioned.

The HS Precision stocks that come on the Senderos are great stocks. As far as quality goes, I don't think I'd say one is any better than the other, but different stocks have different shapes for different uses. So, if one of the Manners or McMillan stocks is shaped more comfortably for you, or would suit your needs better, then I would go that direction.

The common myth is that any stock that comes with a stock rifle is somehow interior to custom made stocks. When making your decision, consider these points:

Besides providing the shooter with a "handle" with which to hold and aim the rifle, the stock of the rifle has one function - it holds the action in place.
A stock must be both sturdy and rigid. Some composition stocks can flex to some degree under recoil.
The action must be securely bedded in the stock to support accurate shooting.
A custom stock usually requires some degree of bedding; even with pillar bedding features (e.g pillars) that might be factory installed.
It is no more difficult to bed the action in a factory stock than it is to bed the same action in a custom stock.

I have factory laminated stocks and after market custom made stocks. All are good quality, all shoot very well, none performs any better than the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.