chemical vapor disposition

trueblue

Does anyone know a business that uses or applies coatings using the chemical vapor disposition method. I am looking to have some rifle parts coated , with something similar to titanium carbo nitrite , but need to use the chemical vapor disposition method to get into small confined areas. Looking for a hard coating in the 85-90 rockwell level. Might not be able to get to that hardness however. I know this is an unusual question, but there is alot of knowledge on this site.

I'm no expert in the field of long range shooting but I can tell you UCT coatings
UCT Coatings - Defense

Suppose to be opening a new website just for firearms folks claim their coating is harder than hard chrome, they call it "nickle boron" and claim any part coated with it are essentailly "lubeless".

Claimed to have an AR with no lube for 60,000 rounds, that looked perfect.

Chemical vapor deposition is used frequently to make single-atom-thick layers. If you put your layer under a scanning force microscope you can "see" the individual atoms (~10^-10 meters). The machines for it are really expensive; for large scale semiconductor factories figure into the millions. You could talk to a university near you. Try their material science, chemistry, or physics departments. They might go "huh?" when you tell them what you want to do but a lot of research universities have them.

Willz,
Thanks for the lead. UCT Coating might be just what I am looking for.
If the project works out, I will post some imformation. I think it would be of interest to some on this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.