Check your Bergara bolt

tmmcampbell

Hey all, was at the range last week shooting my Bergara B14 HMR in a 6.5 creedmore. Took one shot, the primer was pierced, and the gun would not shoot. I took it home and the shroud on the bolt was loose. I took it out and found the threads on both sides were flat. Because the threads flattened out it allowed the shroud to jump back a couple of threads. I have around 800-1000 rounds through this rifle.

I contacted Bergara and they sent me a free shroud in about 5 days. Went on easy and I'm back to shooting. Just would have sucked if it was during a hunt.

I understand, from you tube, they made some of the early guns with softer metal which allowed this to happen. If I was relying on this as my main hunting rifle I would inspect before the hunt.

Still very happy with the rifle. Just a FYI.

Good info. My buddy had a b14 he wanted me to sell on here for him, I was taking pics and went to unscrew the thread protector and to my disbelief, the barrel started unscrewing from the action ha ha. Simple fix, took it to strait jacket armory and he torqued and headspaced it properly before I put it up for sale, was just crazy to see that.

This was a common happening early on with their cast shrouds. If you do a search there is an extensive discussion on it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts