Check pieces and check welds

Jerry D

What kind of check pieces do you guys prefer? Do you prefer any type of raised comb or adjustable check piece?

Please if you could just give your opinion on the check piece you like and the objective lens size of your scope as that helps as a reference point to the required height you have check piece set at.

I don't really have access to a lot of rifles with raised combs or adjustable check pieces to test but I do know that the stocks w/o check pieces are too low.

I know there are some slip on type pads that you can squish under those shell holders on the but of the stock. That is also an option.

Anyone have thoughts on the Mcmillian M40 A1 - general purpose hunting stock's height or manners MSC-T3 or manners MSC-T2? I plan on using a 32 or 36mm objective scope, maybe a 40, but not a 50.

Edit - also are the manner stocks available in left hand?

My self didn't like what came with my new Savage F/TR so i purchased a Karsten adj, cheek piece, found it on sniper central web site.
It works very well.

I personally like the adjustable where it can be removed to make bolt removal easier and cleaning easier

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.