Cheap Target Cam in Your Picket

The camera will have its own software nothing fancy. The router will also but you usually adjust settings based on a preset IP address that will take you to a screen on your browser where you can tweak it. You won't really need to other than possibly some very minor requirements.

If you look at the 15db antennas they will say up to 2 miles. In talking to a couple of propeller heads at work tey said half the mfg claims is usually pretty easy to attain, so should be good out to 1 mile unobstructed. The higher you can get the signal the further is also another variable.

I can dig up my notes on the router and camera set up when you give it a go so you have step by step.

I'm chasing this down as well. One can be had off the shelf from here: http://www.bullseyecamera.com/index.html

My goal is to stream video at 1000 yards to my laptop at low cost (~$250). gun)

A bridge for this can be found here: 802.11 g/n 150 Mbps 1 km range wireless Bridge - Wireless @microseven

Pair this with a $50 camera and battery pack and you're off to the races! I've got a query to Microseven about this setup. Another route is the UAV crowd: Google FPV (first person view). Some good deals can be had.

I'd love to hear what you come up with. I'll report back after my contact at Microseven calls back.

Semper fi!

Last edited:
I mean I think you're a shill for this commercial camera system. You've only posted 3 times and they're all about this new target camera system. Are you associated in any way with this company or it's owners?
I started this thread with the idea of using my smart phone, not some rig with hi gain antennas, routers and such. I got jacked.

No offense taken. I can see why you'd think that, but I'm not. I edited my previous post and replaced the link after one of the companies I looked up was on the BBB for being unresponsive, etc. The $500 price tag is a little to steep for me at the moment so I haven't pulled the trigger. Honestly, this should be a $200 - $300 project.

I'm an engineer working at a federal laboratory, but before that I spent four years in the Marine Corps as a MP. Long range hole punching is a hobby of mine, mainly because I like the challenge of trying to wrap my head around all the variables. Tricks like adjusting focus on a spotting scope to read mirage are really interesting. It seems odd that more scopes don't include ranging reticles or angled reference marks for judging wind speed. It's also odd that more folks don't offer MOA reticles, and those that include mil reticles use MOA turrets. The shooting world is retarded like that I guess - overcome with "operational inertia".

Now, back on subject. The $100 bridge/router I found might do the trick as long as I stay in open ground. That is, if I can get by without a computer tying in the components. An IP camera might do the trick. I did some work with Microseven a few months ago, so I'm trying them first.

The youtube video in an earlier post shows a system that an electrical tech put together and looks low cost, but I don't want to lug a TV to the range with me. My laptop has an 8-hour battery and with an extended range IP camera, I could stream this to an Android or iPad if I wanted to. Anyway, I'd love to hear what you guys have come up with. I'm sure this has been done before.

I mean I think you're a shill for this commercial camera system. You've only posted 3 times and they're all about this new target camera system. Are you associated in any way with this company or it's owners?
I started this thread with the idea of using my smart phone, not some rig with hi gain antennas, routers and such. I got jacked.
The first post in over nine months and you got jacked. I think he was just giving options since you never got back with anything that worked.

I finished a similar product, details listed here:
Long range wireless target cam - Long Range Shooting - CouesWhitetail.com Discussion forum

I spent about $200 and it works great and for shorte distances it even works on my phone, or iPad. My laptop with another yagi antenna will work at 1K no problem and it is very portable. The pole was a salvage piece of conduit with holes drilled so I could mount the yagi and the router above the batteries. The build sheet and instructions is in the thread.

Good luck & have fun!

Just what I was looking for! I'll see if the guy at Radio Shack can help me spec this out. Not the kind of thing I can pick up at my hardware store.

Happy holidays!

Radio Shack will kill you on prices!

They want $40-$50 for one battery alone when they can be had for $10 or less on Amazon. Buy everything on Amazon and you can do it for cheap, the routers are old models that can be had on eBay for cheap.

Connectors, wire, batteries, charger cord, IP Camera go to Amazon
Yagi & Router go to eBay

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts