Cheap, new take off barrels?

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by mindcrime, Sep 22, 2011.

1. mindcrime

mindcrime Well-Known Member

I inhiereted a No.1 Mark 4 Endfield with a shot out factory .303 barrel. With the Mark 4 and the Ishapore .308 being basically the same action, I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap place to purchase new, factory Remington barrels in order to make this cherished hand me down back to shooting again? I would be interested in a .308 cal as a first choice, and not the .311 of the factory .303 British round. .284 cal would be a second, with a .358, then a 6mm rounding out my possible ideas. Thanks for any info you may provide.

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the Enfield and whether a Rem 700 take off can be made to fit.

But, there are frequently barrels for sale in the classifieds section of this forum as well as on gunbroker.com.

3. john_m44

john_m44 Well-Known Member

You might want to check with some one who knows, but the enfield action was not designed for pressures of the cartridges that you mentioned.

I think you would be best to stick with the 303.

4. mindcrime

You are exactly correct, I was actually thinking of rebarrelling to a .308 Win and LOADING to the original 210 gr. bullet to .303 velocities, so I would be plenty safe, plus that .308 Win brass would last a LONG time at those low pressures. ;^)

5. mindcrime

Problem is that I haven't found a good Stateside 'smith that is very knowledgeable with the Endfield. I know that in the UK, they shot long range matches with them with peep and globe sights quite often.

6. mindcrime

...and the search begins. ;^)