Take off barrel on new action

The Real McCoy

I see there is a used take off barrel (300 Weatherby) from a Weatherby in the classifieds. Is it possible to rechamber this to a 300 RUM and install on a Browning A Bolt? I am pretty new to this stuff and dought it can be done but thought I would ask. This would work very well for a build I am trying to gather parts for.

I'm sure you have already looked at the cartridge drawings and seen that a rechambering job will work for this cartridge (encase you didn't, I did & it will). I'm not sure of the thread size, count, and pitch for the weatherby barrel, but if you are not successful with this post, make a new one asking the thread size for both barrels (Weatherby & Browning). I'm sure this is going to vary depending on the exact model, so have that information ready and included for both barrels/actions. If the weatherby is the same thread (diameter, count, and pitch) then you are good, if it is same dia. but different count then you've got a problem. If it is larger, then it might be able to be turned down and re-threaded to fit. This is done very easily when taking a rem. 700 barrel and putting it on a savage 110. Sorry I don't have the specs. on the threads for either action. Good luck!

I'd check your particular receiver and barrel with a thread gauge to verify but what I've found is that the Brownings are either .996" x 32 tpi or .922" x 20 tpi, most being the .922" shank at 20tpi.

It looks like the Weatherby has a 1 1/16"x16 tpi so it should be able to be machined down.

Might have to look kinda hard to find someone to do the work though. I've heard a bunch of horror stories about these actions breaking under the torque of the action wrench. Apparently Browning uses thread lock on their barrels and they must be heated before the barrel can be taken off. Some guys say it's no big deal and they've screwed of tons of them. Just a matter of finding someone willing to do it. Personally I'm always a little leery of using heat on a receiver. I know it should be no problem as long as you keep it under a certain temp depending on the type of steel, but I'd rather not take the chance.

On another note, I found several instances where guys called Browning asking for advice and were told that Browning rifles were not meant to be rebarreled. I know it's been done anyway but it might be something to keep in mind.

Best of luck!

IMHO, if you are going to get a chamber or rechamber job done, get a custom barrel for about $100 or so more. I would only think about using a factory takeoff if it came in the cartridge I wanted. I wouldn't spend extra to get it rechambered.

Just my $.02

-MR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.