Changing Direction

BAR BAR 2

Before I get started, I want to say that I am not trying to advertise anything. I am seriously considering changing directions in regards to how I host and guide antelope hunters here on the ranch and I am looking for some input from hunters who are into long range shooting and hunting. Many hunters enjoy the do-it-yourself type hunts, but I am aiming my questions more toward the men who utilize guides, or like to hunt private land.

We ranch in northeast Wyoming and have , what I consider to be, an ideal set up for antelope hunting. The ranch has a river running the length of it and there is almost always a healthy and robust population of pronghorns. We are only about 25 miles from a town with all the amenities, and only 12 miles from a smaller town that has the necessities.

Being a rancher, I am not required by state law to be a licensed guide or outfitter. Some people ask, but this is one of the perks of having our own place. I am in the process of getting my guide license, so that I am able to guide mountain lion hunts, but I only guide antelope hunts on our place. I have set prices that are reasonable and commensurate with the other private ranches in the area. It has always been my practice to cater to the working man. A guided hunt does cost more than a DIY hunt, but when a party of hunters shows up, they can count on having the ranch to themselves and me knowing where the antelope are and how to best go about getting a person a good shot. Never once have Is sent someone home with a tag, but there has been a time or two when a hunter's lack of practice at the range stood in the way of him harvesting a real trophy.

Most of the hunters I host are from back east and they want to have a fun, affordable and successful hunt. Alot of times, I am hosting fathers and sons and a few times I have even hosted three generation hunts. Most who show up out here are more interested in having a good experience than they are in harvesting a monster. Usually, alot of attention is given to make sure the kids harvest a good buck and develop a stronger interest in hunting.

The hunts I guide always start off down the road at a friends range, so that we can check "0" on rifles and I can get a feel for the capabilities of each hunter. Many seem to think that large calibers equate to great skill and I need to know what kind of shots I can reasonably set a shooter up for. You would be surprised at the number of hunters who feel it is a waste of time to go and check "0", because they did it before they flew out here. Remarks along those lines usually tell me all I need to know and I will try and get those guys within a couple hundred yards.

Anyhow, all that being said, the hunts I guide have always been working man type hunts for parties of two or three people and I have always been very successful. What I'm contemplating is a complete change in direction. Instead of taking small parties of average shooters and harvesting average antelope, I am thinking of gearing my hunts toward the long range shooter who is interested in taking an animal that is better than averagewith a shot that requires more than average skill. The prices would still be geared toward the working man, but I would only have one hunter at a time. Rather than trying to get in close to compensate for an average skill set, we would work as a two man unit strategizing to make sure we connect with a quality animal eventhough it may be at an extreme range. Should I go this route, I would also set up some shooting stations in key locations around the ranch.

This change would mean that I guide less hunters each year , but it would allow me the opportunity to put a more serious shooter on better animals. Rather than the six or eight hunts I normally guide, I would probably be pushing it to get four or five. I could get more, but I usually end up spending about half the month guiding wounded warriors and I will quit guiding hunts for the public before I stop taking those guys out.

Doing this will require some investment to make it into something a serious shooter would really appreciate, so for you guys who hire a guide and hunt private land, would you be willing to pay a little more to have someone knowledgeable of long range shooting all to yourself so that you could go for that one good animal with that shot of a lifetime?

Before anyone asks, I will not discuss any prices here. Just know that a hunt like I am talking about will take more personal attention from me and will require considerably more time, so it will cost a little more than the average hunt.

Tex

Before I get started, I want to say that I am not trying to advertise anything. I am seriously considering changing directions in regards to how I host and guide antelope hunters here on the ranch and I am looking for some input from hunters who are into long range shooting and hunting. Many hunters enjoy the do-it-yourself type hunts, but I am aiming my questions more toward the men who utilize guides, or like to hunt private land.

We ranch in northeast Wyoming and have , what I consider to be, an ideal set up for antelope hunting. The ranch has a river running the length of it and there is almost always a healthy and robust population of pronghorns. We are only about 25 miles from a town with all the amenities, and only 12 miles from a smaller town that has the necessities.

Being a rancher, I am not required by state law to be a licensed guide or outfitter. Some people ask, but this is one of the perks of having our own place. I am in the process of getting my guide license, so that I am able to guide mountain lion hunts, but I only guide antelope hunts on our place. I have set prices that are reasonable and commensurate with the other private ranches in the area. It has always been my practice to cater to the working man. A guided hunt does cost more than a DIY hunt, but when a party of hunters shows up, they can count on having the ranch to themselves and me knowing where the antelope are and how to best go about getting a person a good shot. Never once have Is sent someone home with a tag, but there has been a time or two when a hunter's lack of practice at the range stood in the way of him harvesting a real trophy.

Most of the hunters I host are from back east and they want to have a fun, affordable and successful hunt. Alot of times, I am hosting fathers and sons and a few times I have even hosted three generation hunts. Most who show up out here are more interested in having a good experience than they are in harvesting a monster. Usually, alot of attention is given to make sure the kids harvest a good buck and develop a stronger interest in hunting.

The hunts I guide always start off down the road at a friends range, so that we can check "0" on rifles and I can get a feel for the capabilities of each hunter. Many seem to think that large calibers equate to great skill and I need to know what kind of shots I can reasonably set a shooter up for. You would be surprised at the number of hunters who feel it is a waste of time to go and check "0", because they did it before they flew out here. Remarks along those lines usually tell me all I need to know and I will try and get those guys within a couple hundred yards.

Anyhow, all that being said, the hunts I guide have always been working man type hunts for parties of two or three people and I have always been very successful. What I'm contemplating is a complete change in direction. Instead of taking small parties of average shooters and harvesting average antelope, I am thinking of gearing my hunts toward the long range shooter who is interested in taking an animal that is better than averagewith a shot that requires more than average skill. The prices would still be geared toward the working man, but I would only have one hunter at a time. Rather than trying to get in close to compensate for an average skill set, we would work as a two man unit strategizing to make sure we connect with a quality animal eventhough it may be at an extreme range. Should I go this route, I would also set up some shooting stations in key locations around the ranch.

This change would mean that I guide less hunters each year , but it would allow me the opportunity to put a more serious shooter on better animals. Rather than the six or eight hunts I normally guide, I would probably be pushing it to get four or five. I could get more, but I usually end up spending about half the month guiding wounded warriors and I will quit guiding hunts for the public before I stop taking those guys out.

Doing this will require some investment to make it into something a serious shooter would really appreciate, so for you guys who hire a guide and hunt private land, would you be willing to pay a little more to have someone knowledgeable of long range shooting all to yourself so that you could go for that one good animal with that shot of a lifetime?

Before anyone asks, I will not discuss any prices here. Just know that a hunt like I am talking about will take more personal attention from me and will require considerably more time, so it will cost a little more than the average hunt.

Tex

Absolutely, that would be great. If you have a chance shoot me more details via PM, I am looking at making a trip out next year.

Guys with skills and money will be happy to pay extra. Guys with just money won't. Guys with just skills would but they don't have any money. Guys with low skills and moderate money are where your volume is but what their maturity/attitude spread is I don't know. The number of people that you'll be able to offer the improved 1:1 experience to will also continuously drop as those of us old enough to remember the rewards of hard work start to die off and be replaced by instant gratification types from the younger generations. We can lament this reality all we want but it's in fact reality.

I'd suggest going the direction of making this more like a fish-in-a-barrel trip for those that are incapable of doing the hard work but hook them up with the small fry management goats. For those that put in the effort visibly they get something special... family treatment. Don't ever tell them you're going to do anything special but do separate them from the rest of the client herd and take them for that proper trophy at sniffing range or for that long range shot they'll never forget. Don't tell them you're going to treat them different than anyone else and never admit that you did after the fact. Just actually treat them differently, the way they deserve to be treated.

I've had guides that do treat people basically how they deserve to be treated and what it gets from me is knowing that my guide is guiding me the individual for what I can do and deserve based on my actions and I come back to that guide, I build a relationship with them and try to not be a burden on him/her or to harm that relationship. I treat them like family and bring their favorite hooch or something appropriate as a gift. We might be in a business relationship but it's one of the few kinds that allows this currying of favor with the vendor.

What the millennial gets out of it is, their goat that year. They aren't going to G.A.S. if it's a monster buck or a midget as long as it's made out of meat, nor will they notice at all that all you did was put them on a goat and they won't notice at all that you treated them like a customer instead of like family. You never treat anyone badly but for those that honestly earn your respect, give them a little something special and you'll have repeat business till your dying day, and on that day you'll have a hundred big tough men at the service mourning the loss of a good friend and teacher and celebrating his life instead of just looking for a new guide.

It sounds like you're looking to emphasize the shooting part of the hunt a bit more.

For me-while horn quality is always a good thing, it would not be necessary for such a hunt.

What would interest me more is the opportunity shoot more than one animal at long range, including does.

Repetition being a key part of education.

It sounds like you're looking to emphasize the shooting part of the hunt a bit more.

For me-while horn quality is always a good thing, it would not be necessary for such a hunt.

What would interest me more is the opportunity shoot more than one animal at long range, including does.

Exactly.

Antelope size doesn't really turn me on; I'd rather shoot a unique one given the chance. However, if you run a hunt where the shooter has a chance at a few does I'd be all over it.

Oh, and also consider a max of 2. It would be a hunt I'd still want to take my Dad or my son (or even daughter) on, as we all practice and shoot long range.

If you get details, whether you change or not, please let me know as well.

....Oh, and also consider a max of 2. It would be a hunt I'd still want to take my Dad or my son (or even daughter) on, as we all practice and shoot long range.

The chance to get a young shooter the chance to grow a bit would be a plus.

I'd suggest going the direction of making this more like a fish-in-a-barrel trip for those that are incapable of doing the hard work but hook them up with the small fry management goats. For those that put in the effort visibly they get something special... family treatment. Don't ever tell them you're going to do anything special but do separate them from the rest of the client herd and take them for that proper trophy at sniffing range or for that long range shot they'll never forget. Don't tell them you're going to treat them different than anyone else and never admit that you did after the fact. Just actually treat them differently, the way they deserve to be treated.

As I stated in my first post, one of the main purposes of going to the range and having each hunter check "0" on his rifle is to allow me the opportunity to assess their skill level. I'm no long range guru, but it doesn't take much to determine if a person has actually prepared for their trip by getting in some range time. For the average hunter who wants an enjoyable western hunt, I have been very fortunate to be able to provide that service and send everyone home with some happy memories.

Correct, I am wanting to start concentrating more on the shooting aspect with the hunts I guide. As was suggested above, I can already provide the "Fish In A Barrel" hunt with the chance of a more challenging and rewarding hunt for those who possess the skills to be successful. Putting a person on an antelope is not a problem. As a matter of fact, it's usually fairly easy. Harvesting an above average antelope, on the other hand, usually requires an above average skill set. I would really like to start guiding more hunters who possess those needed skills.

I've got repeat clients who continue to come back, which makes me happy in knowing that I am doing something right. Now I'm just wondering if I would be able to tap into a market for the more experienced shooter who would appreciate a 1:1 hunting experience.

Exactly.

Antelope size doesn't really turn me on; I'd rather shoot a unique one given the chance. However, if you run a hunt where the shooter has a chance at a few does I'd be all over it.

Oh, and also consider a max of 2. It would be a hunt I'd still want to take my Dad or my son (or even daughter) on, as we all practice and shoot long range.

I could definitely do this. For the last several years, I have only allowed a minimal amount of does to be harvested. It has been pretty dry and the antelope herd is still recovering somewhat from drought conditions. Now though, the herd is looking decent and numbers are slowly starting to rebound in my specific area. This can change fairly quick, but I think I could offer hunts with a two animal harvest limit.

For their second animals, would hunters prefer to harvest a doe or a management type buck? This could be a fairly important question during some years, because if the herd numbers start taking a hit due to conditions, I may have to eliminate the doe opportunities in favor of the management bucks.

The chance to get a young shooter the chance to grow a bit would be a plus.

Kids and the older guys ALWAYS get extra attention. I am a firm believer in helping kids get started down the right path and I will do everything in my power to insure that the youngsters have a positive experience. There has been many times when the kid went home with a better goat than dad. The older guys get the same treatment. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the generations who came before us and worked hard to afford us the opportunities we now enjoy and I will do whatever I can to make sure those older guys know they are appreciated.

To those who have sent pm's, I haven't forgot about you. The weather turned to crap and I have been busy as heck. I will try and respond to everyone today if possible.

Tex

Tex,

I appreciate what I see you posting here. It seems to me that you've got a good head on your shoulders and are willing to go the extra mile for your customers.

Nearly 100% of my hunters are multi-year repeats. While knowing their abilities usually makes the "slam dunk" much easier, I've often thought along the same lines you are asking for input about. My guys aren't LR hunters & I've wanted to try to cater a little more to that crowd mostly because I am one and get a little bored with the same ol' same ol'.

I'm intrigued by the idea of setting up a couple shooting stations where the LR hunter can get his kit setup and ready to rock. While it may take a little a little of the excitement out of the equation, I think it's a valid idea.

More directly towards your question, yes I believe a dedicated LR hunter will shell out a few extra bones for a one-on-one LR hunt done right. A lot more? Probably not unless there are specific bonus' that justify the extra cost.

I laughed when you described getting flack for asking your guys to check the zero on their rifles... I have had to shut down more than one hunt to re-zero guns that were "Right On" when they arrived at our ranch.

I'm no expert, but if I can help in any way give me a shout.

t

Tex,
Would like to hear from you. I have done numerous western guided hunts. My buddies(2) and I are planning a DIY antelope / deer in WY for 2017. This will be our first DIY. We would consider a semi guided hunt or a trespass fee. If you or someone you know can help us please contact me.

First of all I want to commend you for the Wounded Warrior thing. I guided big game hunters in Utah for years before moving to Idaho. 90% of the clients cannot hit a barn from the inside. You do have to access their shooting ability. Separate the doers from the talkers. I totally agree with the fellow who said he would even take a doe. Never paid for a guided hunt but this has me interested. My 14 year old grandson nailed a 5x6 Mulie buck at 550 yards this fall with my 300 WM. I have several client/friends from back east.
Please keep us posted!
Thanks, Kirk

P.S. where in WY???

Tex,
Would like to hear from you. I have done numerous western guided hunts. My buddies(2) and I are planning a DIY antelope / deer in WY for 2017. This will be our first DIY. We would consider a semi guided hunt or a trespass fee. If you or someone you know can help us please contact me.

At this time, I am only offering guided hunts on our ranch, but I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have with setting up your hunt. I know doing a DIY hunt is a point of pride with alot of hunters and I strongly encourage people to give that route a go. There are pros and cons with each route and it all comes down to the reasons a person has for their choice.

I can only offer a few hunts here on the ranch each year anyhow, so it isn't as if I'm losing anything by helping others with the planning of their hunts. Besides that, as a hunter, I feel it is my responsibility to try and help another when and where I can. Planning a hunt outside of our home areas can be a daunting task and it is always good to get solid information from someone with boots on the ground. Shoot me a pm and I'll give you my number. Once I know exactly what you guys have in mind, I may be able to point you in the right direction. There are some ranchers who cater to the DIY hunters, or I may be able to steer your toward some good public land, if that is your goal.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Tex Adams

P.S. where in WY???

We are out of Gillette, Wyoming.

------------------------
Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate everyone's interest. And for those who have any questions, shoot me a PM. My reasons behind this thread are not to advertise though. I will be more than happy to help anyone with their plans for a Wyoming antelope hunt. If you have questions about a DIY hunt, or if you need to know about something specific in regards to Wyoming antelope hunting, don't hesitate to ask. There is myself, and a few others on here from this area, and we will all be glad to help, if we can.
-------------------------

Back to the original topic :
Besides being able to shoot an additional animal, if you were wanting to go on a guided long range hunt, what would you like to see or have provided?

Would you want the hunt to be fairly technical, with a fairly rough stalk?
Would you prefer being able to shoot from a shooting station?
Would you want there to be wind flags, or would that take away from the 'skills testing' ?
Would you want your guide providing all of the needed information, such as wind and hold, or would you prefer to do that stuff yourself?

I want to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks,
Tex Adams

I like your idea of offering long range shooter oriented hunts. I would personally prefer to experience somewhat of a stalk rather than to shoot from a shooting station with wind flags. I definetly wouldn't mind having some back up on range estimates and wind calls.

Tex
Tex, you could do some of both. One good way to go about it would be to see if you can set up a deal with Len to do a "LRH Group Hunt" and do it on a semi guided basis where once you are confident in the competence of the guns you can turn some of them loose on specific tracts of land and say, "Here's your pasture, have fun".

Many of the posters here are successful and experienced Antelope Hunters so they would not need as much personal handling as those new to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.