changing Brass WIN to Lapua 308

birddog67

Have always loaded with WIN brass for my 308 700 bolt gun .
I am right at 41.5 grains of varget with 168 Berger VLD .
Mid power load .

question is how much have you seen loads change when you changed brass ?

Or should I just start load development again ?

thanks gun)

I'd pull them Lapua's right out of the box, don't even get out your sizing die....Prime them, charge them, pump a bullet in them and shoot them.

If you're shooting 168 bullets and Varget, give 44.0gr a try....I think you might like the results.

It is going to change a little bit as the two types of brass have different capacities. How much it will change, or if it is even noticeable can only be determined by trying it out. You'll probably find you only have to adjust your load slightly.

You might get lucky & be close enough to get back into a good load quick & easily.
But it doesn't take much in capacity difference to affect tune.

If you developed that load with a Ladder test (at 300 yards) and selected your charge from the middle of an accuracy node, then the small difference in volume with your new Lapua brass shouldn't make that much difference. That said, I'd probably load a few rounds with small charge differences (up & down) and shoot a Ladder just to make sure you're still in the middle of the node.
Good luck!

I just switched from Lapua to Winchester brass in my 308 due to shortages. Same load of 43gr Varget produced 40 FPS lower velocity, 2660 with 168 SMK's. I did not measure capacity, but the Winchester brass is slightly thinner walled which leads me to believe it has slightly more case capacity which could account for the lower velocity. I dropped my dye bushing size .002" for the Winchester brass. Accuracy is actually a little better and ES is single digits with the Winchester. Another .5-1 gr would probably get me back to 2700FPS, but I haven't bothered. Took first in a match last month so I'm keeping it as is because I'm superstitious:rolleyes:

+1 on the 44.0+ of varget I load winny brass and I have 100 Lapua brass the load is the same but as stated velocity is a little lower. I would load all Lapua but can't afford to.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.