Chambering an AR barrel

Yes remove pin first also Brownells has a tool that fits in the extension bolt lugs. I usually take a impact wrench with the tool installed and remove the extension. Or better yet there are a lot of great deals on AR barrels right now if you do not have the tools and reamer and a lathe.

Yes remove pin first also Brownells has a tool that fits in the extension bolt lugs. I usually take a impact wrench with the tool installed and remove the extension. Or better yet there are a lot of great deals on AR barrels right now if you do not have the tools and reamer and a lathe.
I have the Brownell's tool that fits the bolt recess. Unfortunately I don't have an impact.
No one makes 6 Dasher AR barrels that I am aware of.

If its really bad you could carefully drill it out or tig something to the end of it like a bolt and use that to pull it out.

I have the Brownell's tool that fits the bolt recess. Unfortunately I don't have an impact.
No one makes 6 Dasher AR barrels that I am aware of.

Remove guide pin to make sure they did not drive the end into tenon.

Clamp barrel in a barrel vise. Heat up the extension a little. Use your Brownells tool. Picture does not show the sleeve. 20231208_174145.jpg

Using a 3/4 inch box end on the Brownells tool, smack the other end. It may take a couple, but this usually loosens the BE. If it happens that they used red Locktite, heat up the extension till the threadlocker starts smoking.

Note: can't find dasher AR barrel, maybe they have a good reason for their decision

Last edited:
If you have a lot of rounds on your existing barrel, the chamber area may be work hardened and resist reaming.

I would recommend using a better barrel extension and bolt. They are available from the 7mm valkarie guy, or ar perfomance. I have an ar15 in 6mm br and it works great. The barrel was done by ar performance. I use pri 6.8 mags and dpms factory 30 rem ar mags. Both work great, but good luck finding the dpms mags. If I didn't have a connection...

I'm very evicted to see if you make this work. You have got me wanting a new round of it works.
Others have already made it work. Maybe not the dasher as much, but I have an ar15 in 6mm br and was looking into doing another in 6.5 brx or 7mm valkarie

A couple of (hopefully useful) observations, based on almost 40 years of making AR barrels from blanks:

The large casehead size bolts are designed for 450Bushmaster and 458SOCOM pressures. Not those associated with 6mmDasher. As an experiment I built a 7mmBR AR barrel, but I load beginning load data ammunition for it only.

Magazines are also a limiting factor. CAOL will not allow that usual long-for-caliber bullets one would expect to use to maximize Dasher performance(same as my 7mmBR and you will not be able to put more than three or four rounds in a double stacked magazine before the mag body swells to the point that it cannot be inserted into the lower.

Just my experience/observation.

A couple of (hopefully useful) observations, based on almost 40 years of making AR barrels from blanks:

The large casehead size bolts are designed for 450Bushmaster and 458SOCOM pressures. Not those associated with 6mmDasher. As an experiment I built a 7mmBR AR barrel, but I load beginning load data ammunition for it only.

Magazines are also a limiting factor. CAOL will not allow that usual long-for-caliber bullets one would expect to use to maximize Dasher performance(same as my 7mmBR and you will not be able to put more than three or four rounds in a double stacked magazine before the mag body swells to the point that it cannot be inserted into the lower.

Just my experience/observation.
Thanks for the feedback. So what bolt do you recommend for a .473 bolt face?

I did not realize bolts of the same face diameter were rated at different pressures. If I'm going to have to limit pressure I'll probably scrap the idea if it's not going to offer a performance advantage over the 6ARC.

I would recommend using a better barrel extension and bolt. They are available from the 7mm valkarie guy, or ar perfomance. I have an ar15 in 6mm br and it works great. The barrel was done by ar performance. I use pri 6.8 mags and dpms factory 30 rem ar mags. Both work great, but good luck finding the dpms mags. If I didn't have a connection...
thanks for the lead on the 7mm Valkyrie guy. I didn't see bolts and barrel extensions available but I will email him and ask.
I also have some of the modified PRI mags with the front cutout to allow longer length.