re-barrel and re-chambering

savatage

Some of us have bolt guns and ar`s . would someone explain for example how we go about re-barrelling and re-chambering say a savage model 12 22-250 to a .243 or 6.5 creedmoor ? Also same for an ar10 - 308 into say .260 or 6.5 creedmoor . Thanks alot

savatage,

I'm unsure as to where you want to go with this question but the processes are fair simple in general.

Since the cartridges you specify for the Savage are all the same bolt face and short action cartridges, you remove the old barrel then use a pre-fit, pre-chambered custom barrel in conjunction with a headspace gauge and wrench.

For an AR platform, there can be some technical difficulties even though most folks treat them as kit guns.

Remove the handguard, then the gas block and gas tube. Using the proper wrench, remove the barrel. Reverse the order using the proper tools for assembly. Be sure to match the new barrel to the existing gas block and gas tube or replace them with new. The feed ramps in the extension may need some adjusting and polishing, the gas port may need to be opened up slightly or an adjustable block purchased if you choose to run a suppressor.

Please be aware that this is an extremely simplified version and in no way constitutes the absolute complete methodology. It takes tools, knowledge and experience to get everything running precisely on an AR. Yes, there will be some who will proclaim that you can just throw AR parts together and the rifle will go bang. Of course. But, if you're looking for something that approximates some semblance of accuracy and reliability, you might consider letting someone with experience handle this project.

Regards.

Thanks for your response. It was intended on being a fundamental question . Just used two of my guns as an example . Your info was just what I was after . Not just for my inquiry but for others as well. And the advice to have an experienced gunsmith do the work , spot on as well . Thanks again I appreciate it.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.