Chamber issue?

sll

I have a new 700 300WM that I have been breaking in and trying different loads with. So far, I can't get groups worth crap. I noticed after I removed cases that had just been shot from full-length sized brass the first time that it would eject the cases without much resistance, but it was putting about an inch long pretty deep scratch towards the neck end of the case bodies with each case.

Last night while looking into the chamber the best I could with a flashlight to see if I could see any machine markings left by the factory reamer, I could not notice any. I thought I would try and rechamber the once-fired brass, that had been full-length sized and trimmed before firing the first time, and see if it would scratch them any worse. Some cases would allow bolt closure to chamber the case and others would not. I would have to take a small plastic mallet and knock the bolt back and enter a cleaning rod through the muzzle to knock the case out of the chamber on the ones that the bolt would not close on.

Do you think there may have been reamer chatter to the chamber from the factory making the chamber oblong since some cases will rechamber and other won't? I mean all the cases were fireformed to only this rifle's chamber, the should all rechamber right back......correct?

Normally I'd say check the scope bases, float the barrel, etc..

But since the once fired brass doesn't seem to fit back in the chamber, it might be worth checking the runout at several points along the fired cases using a concentricity gauge.

That might give some indication if the chamber is oblong or off center.

Chucking the barrel in a lathe and checking it with an indicator would be further proof.

Either way, you'd need to contact Remington promptly and send it in for repair. Otherwise, you can rebarrel your brand new rifle at your own expense.

-- richard

No, I ruled out scope and mounts after I never got better than a 3" 100 yard group after 4 sets of three shot groups. Swapped them out and same results.

Definitely a chamber issue I believe as there is more cases that will not chamber than there are ones that will that were fireformed. I really like the Lee Collet dies as there are very accurate in all my rifles I use them for and was hoping to be able to use one with this rifle, but you can forget that. Any cases loaded for this chamber would have to always be full-length sized. I already contacted Remington earlier today and will be sending it back.

That's unfortunate.

I've read complaints like this for all the major mfgs. ...especially the ones that are the most popular and reputed to be the best according to popularity polls.

I think it's just something that happens with large volume production rifles.

Hopefully, they'll sort it out quickly for you. After which, you should get many years of enjoyment.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.