Cerakote

Jim McClellan

Looking for a Matte black that is not Cerakote. Not getting good results out of Cerakote and they are unwilling to help. Anybody had good luck with a different product?
Thanks
Jim

The main problem is the graphite black. Im pretty sure its humidity, very hard to get a matte finish out of it. If the humidity is high i get a gloss black out of it. I call it black ice, almost looks like a "wet" black. My only complaint on wear is on the bolt or a barrel in a pistol slide, just doesn't hold up well.

Ya, I've seen the graphite do that, I shoot it at a little higher air pressure than the rest, make sure you put it on thin enough and have the part warm enough that it flashes of fairly soon.
I switched to the armor black and like it a whole lot more, it's not as touchy about the application.

Armor black is great. I just did a receiver last weekend. More hardener in it the glossier it will be.
20180607_211220.jpg
20180609_154547.jpg
20190202_100637.jpg

Armor is very flat? I'm looking for a little sheen, so I'm thinking just little extra hardener for the armor. Has anyone tried drips per ML? I read a few years back someone was putting three drips per ML. I'm sure that depends on the bottle you're using. I just shot a barreled action and ran it 22:1 and still to glossy. I'll reshot it tomorrow with a 24:1 and post a pic. Thanks guys.

I always go 24:1 with Graphite black, I run 5 more psi and and shoot the part at 120 F, and I don't lay more down until it's flashed of. Armor black just rally it at 20:1 and it's a smooth satin finish.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.