Cerakote applicators

Sykes

Wondering where a guy should send a spiral fluted barrel to have cerakote applied, possibly 2 colors. There are alot of shops on Google but looking for a good reputation and reasonable turn around time

Also input on color selection would be welcome. It's a bartlien #4 spiral on a dlc coated Origin long action going in a mcmillian woodland camo stock. Maybe just solid black but maybe another color in the futes to go with the stock?

Thanks LRH

Wondering where a guy should send a spiral fluted barrel to have cerakote applied, possibly 2 colors. There are alot of shops on Google but looking for a good reputation and reasonable turn around time

Also input on color selection would be welcome. It's a bartlien #4 spiral on a dlc coated Origin long action going in a mcmillian woodland camo stock. Maybe just solid black but maybe another color in the futes to go with the stock?

Thanks LRH
With a Camo Stock your options are limitless depending on the type/color/pattern of the camo. Since the Action is DLC you could go with a Tungsten barrel and Black Spirals.
Take the two prominent colors in your camo pattern and then apply them to the barrel and spiral cuts both ways. you can probably do that with a picture of your rifle in photo shop to see what YOU like best!

Really need to see the stock type/color/pattern of the camo. There are many photos on the internet and Cerakote of finished colors.
As far as an applicator just look at their reviews and website.
Time length - just talk to the person doing the Cerakoting and try to get a "Written Contract/Quote" on when they would complete the job.
We would do it, but are changing our shop around and just ventured into a new Laser Engraving System that will take at least several more weeks for setting up equipment and programing.

Last edited:
You would be better off painting yourself with Brownell's Aluma-Hyde II. Cerakote is an expensive paint that doesn't stand up to the durability tests claimed. Many occasions I've had Cerakote professionally applied wear off. Once from a vibrating seat belt buckle in the backseat jut driving to the range. Many times, just on light contact with gravel, or barbed wire.

Cerakote is an expensive paint that doesn't stand up to the durability tests claimed. Many occasions I've had Cerakote professionally applied wear off.

Like any coating, it is subject to wear- but is also dependent on the quality of the prep and the color itself. In my experience darker colors are more wear resistant (probably due to pigment) as is using a lower ratio of catalyst. There's a large range (100%) of variance in catalyst that can be used; 12:1 to 24:1- and the more catalyst used the harder/more durable (and glossier) the coating.

This is my Kahr CM-9, which is my EDC which I Cerakoted over 8 years ago. And, I do mean EDC- I never leave the house without it- and it's worn out two leather IWB holsters. The only wear is above the backstrap and at the back of the slide. It's the most durable coating I've used. I wouldn't expect any coating to survive an encounter with barbed wire any more than I would the point of a knife- but certainly shouldn't be affected by the other instances you mention. I've never had failures like that (nor have any been reported by customers)- IMO they're due to improper prep and application.

20230730_103025.jpg

20230730_103035.jpg

And FWIW, using a "Certified" applicator doesn't guarantee they're going to do the job correctly. Applying Cerakote isn't difficult but does require strict adherence to the prep and application guidelines. I've had some come in (from others) where I could easily scrape the coating off in some areas- and I was able to visually confirm that it was never properly prepped with AlOx sandblasting.

To the OP...
Sure, you can go with a second color in the flutes, but the masking is time consuming and thus, more $$...
Depends on the look you're after. Natch, black is popular- but it does not occur in nature and therefore has no place in a true natural camo color scheme.

I've done many camo jobs of all styles (have a stencil cutter and make my own), and I often do barrels with free-hand airbrush several of the stock colors on the barrel to blend the barrel into the stock, or in your case where the stock is already done stencil the barrel to match the stock and use matching colors.

Yeah on non moving parts like a barrel of save the $100-200 and drop $20 on alumahyde. It's lasted a long time on my barrels. And you can easily DIY. Multi colors not as easy though.