Cci vs Winchester LMR primers

TheGreek

Ok have an opportunity to pick up some primers… CCI is my go to choice but with limited supply of #250's I have an opportunity to get Winchester LMR primers… how good are they? Will it mess up the accuracy of an established load that was developed? He also has federal Large rifle primers but not magnum so I was going to pass on those.. newbie needs help

Only way to be certain is to load em and shoot em at the range. Every rifle and load is different for each other

Ok have an opportunity to pick up some primers… CCI is my go to choice but with limited supply of #250's I have an opportunity to get Winchester LMR primers… how good are they? Will it mess up the accuracy of an established load that was developed? He also has federal Large rifle primers but not magnum so I was going to pass on those.. newbie needs help
You should always back off and work up if changing components, lots, etc. It likely will change your load but only way to know is to try (after backing off and working back up).

Last edited:
I had to read this three times. Pass on federal large rifle primers nowadays? WOW I definitely would not
I have to agree that would be hard to pass on. I find Federals to be hotter primers. So if you're loading for standard cartridges I'd get the Federals. If you'r going to load for magnums then I'd go for the Win Magnum primers.

Primers have very little effect on velocity; they do have an effect on ES / SD. I would not pass up any primers in today's world. also you do not need a "magnum" primer even for very large case capacities. My primary hunting rifle is a 338 Lapua Improved. I shoot a pretty pedestrian load of 98 grains of H1000 and light it with Federal 210's. I tested Fed 215's, WLR, Rem 9.5's, 210's and the 210's had the best ES, the 215's the worst.

Primers have very little effect on velocity; they do have an effect on ES / SD. I would not pass up any primers in today's world. also you do not need a "magnum" primer even for very large case capacities. My primary hunting rifle is a 338 Lapua Improved. I shoot a pretty pedestrian load of 98 grains of H1000 and light it with Federal 210's. I tested Fed 215's, WLR, Rem 9.5's, 210's and the 210's had the best ES, the 215's the worst.
Thanks for the actual test information. That is very interesting. Always Trying to reduce ES/SD. 70 rounds for a pound of powder is also interesting. Guessing you buy 8 pounders by the six pack! Lol. I use CCI 450s with 43 grains H4350 and have two 8 lbs in reserve. Now that primers are becoming more available I am looking forward to testing for lower ES/SD. Thanks for the inspiration.

Recent Posts