CCI Primers?

Interesting timing I just had my first miss fire every in +35 of handloading with a brand new tikka 6.5 creed with Fed 210. Going to clean the bolt inside out. It's an odd feeling for sure.

I bought a box of 1000 cci magnum primers about four months ago. I'm about 150 into the brick and had two misfires in the same 50 rounds. Tried them twice before I ejected and it showed full contact from the firing pin, but never went off. Anyone else run into this?
I time after about 3000 rounds it happen at the worst time elk at 100 yds it went click when I tried to fire ejected it the second one went off fine drt I still use cci primers

I bought a box of 1000 cci magnum primers about four months ago. I'm about 150 into the brick and had two misfires in the same 50 rounds. Tried them twice before I ejected and it showed full contact from the firing pin, but never went off. Anyone else run into this?
I'm only asking because I'm guilty of it -Is there powder in the case?

Have you touched them with your fingers at all?
I have noticed a correlation, for me anyways, that the more I touch the primers with bare skin, the more likely I am to have misfires.
If you have to turn the primers, use something like tweezers to do it.

Have you touched them with your fingers at all?
I have noticed a correlation, for me anyways, that the more I touch the primers with bare skin, the more likely I am to have misfires.
If you have to turn the primers, use something like tweezers to do it.
I use gloves when I prime my casings that's what a old timer suggests

When you took apart the misfires, did the primer look like it was burned?
I know it's highly unlikely, but possibly a bad batch of powder? Unless it is a bad batch or primers, which is very possible as well.

I've used CCI 200 and 250 for nearly 40 years with no misfires, until a couple of years ago. And it was just one. Tried it twice. I was at the range at the time and without thinking I tossed that round into the misfire bin. So didn't do an autopsy to see if the primer was actually defective. That year I hunted with a guide who has also used CCI 250 for many years and only recently had one misfire. He said he took that round apart and the primer was empty. He mentioned some folks (hunters he has guided) seated their primers too deep so on some rounds so the firing pin only made a shallow dent, resulting in misfires.

I've never had a miss fire but the last brick of CCIs I bought have been missing 1 to 3 primers per pack. :(

When you took apart the misfires, did the primer look like it was burned?
I know it's highly unlikely, but possibly a bad batch of powder? Unless it is a bad batch or primers, which is very possible as well.
Primer looked fine and it was retumbo power that I use all the time same load and batch worked this year for elk no problems

Do you still have the cartridges that did not fire? If so, have you tried disassembling your bolt and do a thorough cleaning, then see if they will fire?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts