CCI #450 for creedmoor?

twister

So i use these for hammer bullets but what will they do, besides needing to work up the load again.

For a regular cup and core is there a down side with small powder charges?

In my .260 AI I am using Peterson SRP brass. A little more capacity than the creed, but not a ton. When I first did load development with rl26 and 147 eld-m's, the best primers were br-4's, e.s. was somewhere in the teens. Then I switched to Berger 156's with same primers, powder and brass, and velocity was all over the place, like 75+ spread. Did a primer test with the br-4's, federal magnum primers, Remington standard, and the cci 450's. The 450's brought e.s. down to the low teens consistently. With all those different primers, velocity average was all within 50 fps or so average of each other. Anymore, I do a primer test as part of my load development unless a load just really comes together without changing anything.

450's get used by people building .223 ammo all day every day and are preferred for lighting off ball powder in that case. The thicker cup on them is also liked by guys like me shooting .473" bolt face chamberings with small primer brass like .308win/6.5CM/6CM/6XC etc.... With thinner cupped primers like the CCI 400's we get a lot of pierced primers unless you go to small pin and bushed bolt face. With 450's or F205MAR or CCI #41's, never get pierced primers. I use them in 6XC specifically to avoid pierced primers.

I use CCI 450's in both my 6.5x47's. I shoot 130AB, 130hvld and 124 HH. Deer hunt in very cold weather in Canada -30C. Never had a problem.

It's hard to beat CCI 450 MAG PRIMERS.
They are my go to primer for all my SRP case needs. From the ARs to long guns.
Very consistent on weight and Velocity.
Also, I have never pierced one in my AR-15's. You just can't beat them for reliability. I have tested and compared just a bout all of the name brands over time and like I said, you just can't beat them. OPINIONS vary on this subject.and this is what I found that works for me.
Merry Christmas Everyone..

Nothing wrong with the #450s for this. That being said, in my origin with 6.5 creedmoor lapua brass I've also had good results with the #400 and the federal match AR primers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.