Cast bullets in a 10mm auto

I have a stainless bisley in 45 colt. It's a fine piece but I don't shoot it very much because it's pretty heavy. I've been rolling around the idea of trading it toward a 10mm auto, most likely the Glock 20sf, but I wasn't sure about cast bullets in a 10mm.

I've read post after post about the stopping power of the 10mm with various jacketed bullets. I'd like to use hard cast bullets if for no other reason than cost and what I think would be superior penetration over jacketed bullets. (Opinions welcomed)

Has anyone loaded a 10mm with a good hard cast bullet? I've used Dry Creek bullets in my 45 and love them. I really like them because they're affordable and Lynn is an easy guy to get in touch with who also stands by his products.

I don't cast nor do I see myself starting in the foreseeable future so I'd be buying any cast bullets. Next to quality, available and price are pretty important to me.

Keith

Been shooting hard cast bullets in 10mm since early 1990's.I have shot others hard cast and cast my own.Just got an order from Montana Bullets 200 gr hard cast coated bullets.Have not loaded any yet but will soon.
Our weather here is not great,not comfortable shooting weather so I'll wait a while.
Others on this site has had great success with these bullets.They are hard cast and coated so they will not lead your barrel.

I personally, don't really shoot much besides my own cast bullets. I have a friend who shoots a 180 gr. out of his 10mm and really loves it. I have about every other caliber except for .40 S & W and 10mm. Just never got into those because I don't know what I'd use it for. Sounds like a very good choice for bear protection from what I hear though. I enjoy casting myself as I have a good source for lead and plenty of molds. I can load a much greater variety than you can buy over the counter too. I get to shoot anytime I feel the urge unless the weather is too cold. I'd buy some cast and see how you like it. What's to lose?

I personally, don't really shoot much besides my own cast bullets. I have a friend who shoots a 180 gr. out of his 10mm and really loves it. I have about every other caliber except for .40 S & W and 10mm. Just never got into those because I don't know what I'd use it for. Sounds like a very good choice for bear protection from what I hear though. I enjoy casting myself as I have a good source for lead and plenty of molds. I can load a much greater variety than you can buy over the counter too. I get to shoot anytime I feel the urge unless the weather is too cold. I'd buy some cast and see how you like it. What's to lose?
Newtire I have a friend that lives in a big city with plenty of crime and shoots cast bullets.I do not recommend self defense shooting in a big city with cast bullets.There are a bunch of good bullets out there for that.
Here in Montana we have bears and that's the main reason for my 10mm.I load 40 cal and shoot them in my 10mm and they shoot fine but it shines with full house 10mm.
I have been face to face with Grizz,about 4 feet without a gun and that won't happen again.

I just bought a 10mm and some ammo that I picked up for it is Underwood Ammo hard cast 200 grain. If it's offered commercially, it's gotta be fine.
In Glock 20 expect 1140 to 1150 fps with Underwood 200gr Hardcast in 4.6" about 100fps shy of advertised 1250fps.
I hand load my G20 for Alaska !
8.8 of Longshot and 200gr Hardcast FNGC gets your 1250 FPS in G20 4.6" barrel.

I just bought a 10mm and some ammo that I picked up for it is Underwood Ammo hard cast 200 grain. If it's offered commercially, it's gotta be fine.
In Glock 20 expect 1140 to 1150 fps with Underwood 200gr Hardcast in 4.6" about 100fps shy of advertised 1250fps. I handload my G20
8.8 Longshot with 200gr FNGC Hardcast for 1250 fps in 4.6" G20 for Alaska.

I've loaded and shot 200gr hard cast lead bullets from Straight Shooters Cast Bullets in my Glock. I loaded them with 10gr of blue dot. It's a sporty load and not intended for plinking. I haven't shot them across the Lab Radar yet. I have an aftermarket barrel. Some say I can shoot these bullets with the factory barrel but it's not like it's difficult to swap a Glock barrel out so why risk it?

The barrel is about and inch longer than factory and threaded. I don't like shooting it with a can. It's nose heavy and the piston seems to add to the recoil. I may put a comp on it. May not.

I've only been casting for about 10/12 years now, but I REALLY enjoy doing so. I cast for both rifle and handguns for projectiles .355 caliber and over. The .358", .375", .401", .430", and .458" handguns/rifles are my favorite. Next in line would be my .452" and .510" muzzleloaders.

But, regarding the 10mm Auto. First and foremost I am a hunter. I LOVE to handgun hunt and find it very rewarding to harvest game with a bullet I casted/loaded to take such animals - mostly deer and hogs (southeastern fella here). My current pet load for the 10mm Auto is a 200gr. Accurate Mold .40-200C of (30:1 alloy) 25% COWW - 75% SOFT to 1lb. pewter, about 11 BHN. In the last year I have begun powder coating and watched my groups tighten up by 50%!!! I was strongly against powder coating for the longest time until I tried (forced to) it for myself. . .VERY glad I did!!!

I shoot a Glock G40 MOS with a 6.5" KKM barrel and a few other specialties in this handgun. I have a Leupold DeltaPoint Pro sight and it is zeroed at 75yds. with the 40-200C bullet. My load is 11.5gr. Accurate #9, (YMMV start below) Starline brass, Winchester LPP, 200 gr. cast at a COAL of 1.260" with a muzzle velocity of 1320FPS (over a Lab Radar). I am VERY confident at taking Med. Game to the 75yrd. mark and can walk aluminum cans off the bench to 125yds. with this load/handgun. I do harvest deer (multiple) ever year with this combo and hogs as pest control seems like weekly with no issue. It is really a fun, accurate and lethal cartridge within 100 yards.

I know this will probably start a SERIOUS B.S. session. . .but all this talk of self-defense and hand loaded ammo, cast ammo, blah blah blah. . .is internet pot-stirring bullsh!t!!! Yes, if your running hunting cast loads (as I do) there is a chance of over-penetration, but it doesn't mean you're out of compliance with the law. You as the shooter have to take everything going on at the moment if you were to squeeze the SAID trigger. That said, I know MY AMMO, and what the capabilities are of what is loaded in my handguns. . .carry guns have "said load" hunting handguns have "said load". . .either way I feel "me & mine" are protected.

Just my $.02 on this matter. Take care and Happy New Year. Be safe out there.

In Glock 20 expect 1140 to 1150 fps with Underwood 200gr Hardcast in 4.6" about 100fps shy of advertised 1250fps. I handload my G20
8.8 Longshot with 200gr FNGC Hardcast for 1250 fps in 4.6" G20 for Alaska.
alaska where did you find that load data?Sounds warm.I too have some 200 gr FNGC from Montana Bullet Works along with a box of coated 200 gr hard cast.I need to pick a load and run with it.

I've loaded and shot 200gr hard cast lead bullets from Straight Shooters Cast Bullets in my Glock. I loaded them with 10gr of blue dot. It's a sporty load and not intended for plinking. I haven't shot them across the Lab Radar yet. I have an aftermarket barrel. Some say I can shoot these bullets with the factory barrel but it's not like it's difficult to swap a Glock barrel out so why risk it?

The barrel is about and inch longer than factory and threaded. I don't like shooting it with a can. It's nose heavy and the piston seems to add to the recoil. I may put a comp on it. May not.
Suggest 10.5 of BD with that bullet and CCI 300 primers. Comp is like a muzzle brake loud !
I prefer nothing on the end except for M4 Carbine 5.56.

Last edited:
alaska where did you find that load data?Sounds warm.I too have some 200 gr FNGC from Montana Bullet Works along with a box of coated 200 gr hard cast.I need to pick a load and run with it.
It's my load data that I worked up on my G20 and Chronograph. Make sure you have a KKM barrel and a 22/24 pound spring.
Warm it's not Warm it's Hot ! It's max above Full Power level in the 700 FPE zone .
My G20 is for Bear protection in Alaska !
It's a true 1262 FPS load.
CCI 300 pimers
200gr
8.8 of LS
10.5 of Blue Dot
9.6 of 800x
Crimp using Lee Factory Crimp Die
With a barrel longer than 4.6" you will have increased velocity better than the 1250 FPS zone.

Last edited:
It's my load data that I worked up on my G20 and Chronograph. Make sure you have a KKM barrel and a 22/24 pound spring.
Warm it's not Warm it's Hot ! It's max above Full Power level in the 700 FPE zone .
It sure is your load data. My first were loaded with your 10.6gr load.I still have those. I have the KKM barrel. I don't have the heavy spring so I backed it down a bit. It is a hard hitting load, no doubt about that. I didn't load them for paper targets, if I had I would have stopped. It's not a comfortable round to shoot but it's not supposed to be. I called it sporty in my post. In Texan that means hot.

Measured spring tension with just a scale is hit or miss. That said, my spring measures 14lbs. I can feel when the slide when it hits the stops and it slings brass up and over so that it lands about 8-10' away. I definitely need to replace the spring.

Edit: I found the package. It's actually a 22# spring and tungsten guide rod. I'll shoot couple across my Garmin. I've been wanting to see how that things works.

Last edited: