Case volumes 300 wm

terry g melancon

Hey y'all, I'm Terry from central Louisiana.
Anyway, I have been handloading for about 20 years. I have always weighed my cases..
But with my 300wm I thought I would check the capacity with water instead of weight.
I tested once fired hornady, federal and Remington. They were all the same. About 5.8m.
If the capacities are the same , shouldn't the pressures be the same ?
I have always read remington brass had less capacity. I dont see it . Any comments would be appreciated, thanks !!

i am surprised at the similar volumes.
to be clear, insert a spent primer upside down, weigh and record the weight.
fill with water at about 75 degrees, tap to remove bubbles, us the edge of a tissue to get the water flat at the top of case(MENISUS)
weigh and subtract that is aprox case vol.
i do not know what 5.8m is

Welcome to the forum! How many cases did you measure volume on? Were they all fired in the same rifle?

Yes all fired from same rifle. I guess using ml lines on seringe isn't precise enough. One ml is over 15 grains. But I did weigh the brass. Hornady and Remington were about 234 to 237 grains. If I remember correctly. Federal was about 249 grains. Federal surprised me. I figured Remington would be heavier.
With federal brass I get .3 to .5 groups at 100 yes. 215 bergers. 76.3 g h1000. Avg 2960.
I thought 2960 was a fast for the load as compared with everything else I read. Checked it again with second chrony. Same velocity.
Still seems high for 24 inch savage stealth.
Maybe thicker brass ? I also lap the barrel.
Also the stealth uses the same magazine for the 300 and 338 lapau. So I can seat the bullets way out.

fill with water at about 75 degrees, tap to remove bubbles, us the edge of a tissue to get the water flat at the top of case(MENISUS)

Ok thanks. I guess using mils / grams isn't precise enough. Probably need an electronic scale to weigh brass with water.

a PRECISE scale. a beam is better than a cheap electronic.
a cc is essentially a gr at 77 degrees...not10 for 15

Ok I have a beam. I read 1 m.l. was equal to 1 gram. My measurments were 5.8 m.l..
About 89 grains of water.
I know it was correct but I really wasn't that for off. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.