700 5r milspec 300 wm

adam7mm

Hi guys, I'm from NC and new to this , I've read lots of stuff here and it has been very useful. I just got this rifle and was wondering what the round count for the barrel break in is, much info would be great. Basically when can I expect optimum accuracy ? Thanks

Welcome to the site! Mine took about 20 rounds for a noticeable difference in cleaning and stabilization of velocity and accuracy. I shot/cleaned for each of 10 rounds, then did the same for a few 3 shot strings. I used Bore Tech CU+2. I have also owned a few 308 Milspecs that were broken in similarly. The barrel is easy to clean once broken in.

Thanks, I have about 30 rounds through it, and it's shooting about .7 moa . Just hoping it will do a little better but then again I am shooting factory ammo. What kind of accuracy was yours holding?

Thanks, I have about 30 rounds through it, and it's shooting about .7 moa . Just hoping it will do a little better but then again I am shooting factory ammo. What kind of accuracy was yours holding?

I broke it in with 175SMK's with 77gr of H1000. The first three shots were an inch. The next 7 of tn were in 3/8" at 100. I played with some different loads for the next ten break-in shots which opened the groups to over an inch. I have maintained .25-.5MOA with my final load of 79gr Retumbo, Norma brass, 215's. Seating .010 off lands. 2904FPS, ES 10FPS. 75.5 of H1000 gives slightly better accuracy at 200 yards but my ES spreads to 22FPS.

Thanks , great info, did u do anything to it , or right out the box?

I put in a Timney trigger set at 2.5#. The Mark X trigger was terrible. I couldnt adjust it below 4.5#. Also installed an Elk Meadow muzzle brake that gives the rifle less recoil than my 308. While the supplied stock was fine, I just put a McMillan A3 to match the A5 stock dimensions on my Milspec 308 that I use for tactical and sniper matches.

Range report, loaded some 185 berger vld started at 70gn , went to 73gn , best accuracy was at 71.5 with h4831sc . Group was .378 , I don't have a chrony , is this a low node, wondering what the fps is? 73gn showed no pressure signs at all , loaded .010 off lands, any info if I could go higher ? Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.