.300 wm accuracy & bullet strike (Arizona)

Marcf44a

I'm new to LRH. Wanted a faster .30... and would love some current advice... (Shot Steyer SSG/308 in the old days when it was gold standard. Taken a handful of game at 300 to 450.)

Two questions:
1. Hunting and shooting alone - how to see and "learn" from the bullet strike? With .308 levels no problem. At 300mag level difficult. Have muzzle break on Ruger 77 .300wm - helps but not quite enough.

2. How and which hunting bullets fly best at top velocity. Barrels are 1:10. Don't seem to like longer bullets. How are guys shooting 200gr+ with success?

Background:
1st fast gun attempt - Ruger No. 1 Tropical in .300 H&H (Vortex 4-12x). First accuracy results were poor - 3 to 5 inches at 200yrds. A-Max shot good. SST shot bad. Free floated forearm, fire lapped barrel, mag-na-ported, installed Hicks Accurizer. Now shoots 180 and match bullets good if velocity held to 2,800 fps. ETips are horrible (assume its the bullet length for the 1:10).

2nd fast gun attempt - Ruger M77 African in .300 Win Mag (Vortex 4-16x) with factory muzzle break. Muzzle rise and recoil are much less, but still can't watch bullet strike with 12x or 16x field of view. Accuracy is some what better - though erratic from bullet to bullet. SST's fly very poorly. TSX 150gr shoot about MOA. 180 Accubonds are all over the map. ETip 180's are almost ok.

Powders I've tried - IMR 4350, Accurate 4350, IMR 3031.
Other Ruger barrels are fine. Am I barking up the wrong tree with Ruger - seemed affordable?
General ideas and suggestions welcomed?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.