Case Trimming: How Often?

General RE LEE

I am getting into reloading and all my brass is once fired. I had a RCBS Manual case trimmer I bought from Midway and it was an absolute piece of garbage. Broke first time using it.

After how many rounds do you have to trim cases? Hopefully I can get a decent case trimmer by the time primers come available and I am abe to shoot.

I trim when they need trimming. If they are within the spec in your manual I don't. Case length if within spec has never reared its ugly head as it pertains to accuracy. I am not saying that those that trim every time are wrong. If you have the time and want to do it great. I have not found it to improve accuracy to a detectable degree.
I will say that RCBS is not junk! I have 3 of their trimmers 2 manual and 1 auto they all work as designed. If you have a problem with RCBS they will fix it without question. They have excellent customer service.

No forget manuals, as they mean nothing about YOUR chamber.
Best to buy a chamber length gauge from Sinclair, and measure your chamber end length.
Trim to desired end clearance as each case reaches it.

I choose a tighter 5thou under, and will accept up to 10thou under. I don't subscribe to trimming them all to the worst in batch.
I like them tight to end to mitigate carbon ring formation at loaded case mouths, reduce neck/case sooting, reduce ES, and reduce trimming need, which reduces H20 capacity changing.

Your trim rate is tied to the amount of FL sizing you do. This, squeezing brass thick toward thin right up the case to mouths.
Where you don't do a lot of sizing, you don't need to trim as often, if ever.
New brass will typically pull back it's necks on 1st firing, as shoulders blow outward. So unless jammed, don't trim new cases. Wait until they settle a bit and watch them with each firing until all have reached and are trimmed to desired clearance.

The little bit of variance until then is not a serious detriment, so it's ok to hold off on trimming until needed.
Just don't let cases grow to hit chamber end, because this 'end' is 45deg and can wedge case mouths to prevent neck expansion on firing (dangerous).

I use a Little Crow trimmer on 300 Blk for AR. Everything else is as-needed on a Hornady, meaning when it exceeds the max spec. I'm going to upgrade to an LE Wilson, because if you're going for maximum impact in minimizing tolerance stacking, you might as well go all out.

In terms of impact on results I would put case trimming somewhere above flash hole/pocket uniforming and neck turning, but well below a better scale and bushing die resizing and/or mandrel expanding. Meaning if you're just starting out the hassle of trimming every single time isn't worth the frustration because your results will be buried under an inconsistency in another loading process, and you'd be better off with using a cheaper trimmer occasionally and spending your money on a better scale or better dies.

Last edited:
Get ya a Redding case trimming lathe . The cutter head stays put and you turn the case . It takes a little bit to get used to it but I couldn't believe how out of square cases truly are . Had mine for about ten years now and wouldn't go no other way that I've seen. As far as how often i trim my brass to trim length then it is generally good for two firings sometimes three . As soon as one gets to over max length I do it all back to trim length. Especially anything that needs crimped it generally gets trimmed every time

I am getting into reloading and all my brass is once fired. I had a RCBS Manual case trimmer I bought from Midway and it was an absolute piece of garbage. Broke first time using it.

After how many rounds do you have to trim cases? Hopefully I can get a decent case trimmer by the time primers come available and I am abe to shoot.
Check out the Wilson with the micrometer I love mine but I do not shoot mass quantities of brass

Been using a Forester trimmer for a long time. You can get Forester 3 in 1 case month cutter per caliber. Sets up per caliber, trim, bevel in one operation. Mikecr explain it's better than I can. I hate to say it I wasn't aware of chamber length gauge by Sinclair. I do trim every time if needed. I chuck them up and run them through with the Forester 3 in1 month cutter. The forester month does it one step.
There is a lot of steps and some you don't have to do every time. It's all up to you and how deep you are going into reloading process. There is always something new to learn. That a good day!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.