Case Trimming: How Often?

I am getting into reloading and all my brass is once fired. I had a RCBS Manual case trimmer I bought from Midway and it was an absolute piece of garbage. Broke first time using it.

After how many rounds do you have to trim cases? Hopefully I can get a decent case trimmer by the time primers come available and I am abe to shoot.
On a hunting rifle, where you don't want to suffer an stuck or no close issue in the field I would trim every time you prep brass. Most of the time you will not get a lot of cutting on each case but its a small amount of time to ensure less chambering issues in the future. There are a lot of great trimmers out there. I've been using an L.E. Wilson for about 10 years and have had great results with it. I love the power adaptor to allow a drill or electric screw driver to be attached. It saves you hands and provides a cleaner cut surface using consistent high speed.

I am getting into reloading and all my brass is once fired. I had a RCBS Manual case trimmer I bought from Midway and it was an absolute piece of garbage. Broke first time using it.

After how many rounds do you have to trim cases? Hopefully I can get a decent case trimmer by the time primers come available and I am abe to shoot.

When they are to long. Information in most reloading manuals.

About every 3 reloads. I trim to -0.010". I use a Wilson trimmer or Trim-It 2 depending upon volume and accuracy needed.

I trim all once fired rounds that I buy in bulk, and then only when required, l started with Lee trimmers and gave them up as a bad joke, purchased the Frankfort Arsenal Platinum case prep centre and have never looked back, although it is 110volt and our mains is 240volt so had to get a step down transformer,
Must admit that I have learned a huge amount from this site and the information is relevant worldwide (l am in Australia) .
Graham.

Keep the barstards guessing.

Using a case length gage as well as a set of digital style calipers I suggest that that after you Fl resize that you check your overall length as well as your case dimension's every time. (hence the use of a case length gage).
Refer to your recepie book in order to determine your correct case maximum O.A.L. as well as your trim to length and follow along.
As for how often to trim your brass there are just too many variables that come into play here.
Things like brand of brass ,as well as components that you use. How often you shoot and your rifles chamber dimensions are some of the items you must consider.
Are you shooting more than one weapon in the same caliber? If the answer is yes all the more reason to check each case s length after Fl resizing!

Cull any cases that are close to maximum overall length and reserve them for trimming..
I have found that a decent case trimmer is sold by Lyman and has stood the test of time for me. (I own 2 plus the Lyman case trim express which is motorized and yields consistent results with all my bottle neck case.
Just my thoughts as there are many different manufacturers that produce similar equipment, however in all honesty I know that what I have listed above works for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.