Case Neck Separation. Why?

TimeOnTarget

Curious to see what you guys have for an explanation for this.

This happened while FL sizing 2x fired brass today. Brass is Lapua 6.5x284.

Attachments

• Case Neck.jpg
    Case Neck.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 208
He hasn't annealed it. It's only been fired 2 times.

can you take a better pic of your brass in the light? It looks like your brass still has carbon all over it.

Got rid of that piece of brass already, but yes, it has carbon on it.

Well I would imagine that that is getting in your resizing die and changing the dimensions of it and making your neck get stuck up in there. You don't want a dirty resizing die. Did you have to pull real hard?

You need to clean that carbon off the nex and body before sticking it in your resizing die. Your die has really tight dimensions to resize the case.

Took hardly any pressure to pull the neck off. Less than normal sizing operations.

I've always sized, then tumbled in order to get the primer pockets cleaned.

Are you neck turning? If you go too far into the shoulder with the cut, this will happen. Taught a buddy how to do it once, as he was borrowing my rifle, so I wanted to spread out the labor. I obviously didn't make it clear just how far down to go...

About 1 in 5 pulled off in the sizer, and of the remaining, about 1 in 10 pulled off after firing.

I tried to quarantine and dispose of the bad ones, but every so often, a neck comes off in the chamber. I think they're all gone now though.

Took hardly any pressure to pull the neck off. Less than normal sizing operations.

I've always sized, then tumbled in order to get the primer pockets cleaned.

Invest $20 in a universal decapping die. I wouldn't want to be running dirty cases into my dies. At the very least, vigorously wash the brass in warm soapy water (and dry of course) before you start the sizing process.

Are you neck turning? If you go too far into the shoulder with the cut, this will happen. Taught a buddy how to do it once, as he was borrowing my rifle, so I wanted to spread out the labor. I obviously didn't make it clear just how far down to go...

About 1 in 5 pulled off in the sizer, and of the remaining, about 1 in 10 pulled off after firing.

I tried to quarantine and dispose of the bad ones, but every so often, a neck comes off in the chamber. I think they're all gone now though.

Invest $20 in a universal decapping die. I wouldn't want to be running dirty cases into my dies. At the very least, vigorously wash the brass in warm soapy water (and dry of course) before you start the sizing process.

Not neck turning.

I did just over 200 cases and this was about the 20th one, All the rest had no issues.

do you know about how long the ammo was loaded for before shooting ? if it was loaded for a little while I wonder if it corroded . the reason I ask is , I ran into a somewhat similar problem . I had some ammo I was pulling apart , the corrosion was bad enough to cause the necks to come off with the bullet still in the neck . this would be on once fired brass . this was not freshly loaded ammo , it had been loaded for awhile . I'm just thinking if yours corroded it could have cracked the brass when you fired it , then the neck pulled off when you sized it . just a guess ?? P6200224 (2).JPG

Factory annealing not good. #1 cause.
Standard dies over work brass.
Or are you using a fl type S bushing die? If your not. You should be.

Photo 1 hard to see. Post 12 photo is from using standard fl die. New brass may have a donut at neck shoulder junction. Brass over worked. Gets brittle, breaks.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts