Case length trimming

1kstr

I have a Lyman to trim cases to length. I have seen a Redding where you turn the case instead of turning the cutter like the Lyman. Is there a difference from turning the cutter vs. turning the case in uniformity or why is theirs designed the other way. What are your thoughts on this.
1kstr

It won't make any difference which one you use as they both will get the job done right. I use a Wilson that turns the cutter.

My Lyman manual turns the cutter, my Lyman power turns the case. Have a Forster, it turns the case. They all get the case trimmed.

Thanks guys. You see now that I never understood the commercial with, "why ask why". Thanks again.
1kstr.

I just got in a new Wilson trimmer a few days ago. I am very pleased with it. I like the way a shell holder grips and centers the case to ensure it is square with the cutter, rather than using a mandrel like most other trimmers. By the way, the case is stationary and the cutter turns....

i've used the RCBS and Wilson trimmers but since i've started using the lee trimming system,i like it much better than any of the others.it is simpler,more consistent,more accurate, and cheaper than the others.it amazes me that more people don't use the Lee trimmer.

I use the new redding 2400 with the micrometer on it and all I have to say is: Holy Cow!! This thing is awesome. You don't need any shellholders and it's the most accurate cut I have seen.

I used a Lyman case trimmer, which uses a shell holder into which the case is put, a screw then pushes the case rim against the shell holder and locks it down. The problem with this system is that the rim wall thickness is not always that consistent, and varying thickness rims lead to varying case lengths.I now use a Lee trimmer, which cuts at one length only. How do other systems overcome this problem of varying rim thickness?

[ QUOTE ]
How do other systems overcome this problem of varying rim thickness?

[/ QUOTE ]

Most systems don't control this "perfectly"... the Forster has a tapered collet, and the distance that it travels to hold the case, determines the case AOL, so the same problem (??) occurs, a smaller rim dia means a shorter case (by the same amount).

I bought the RCBS trimmers (manual and electric) because the holder draws the case back against a fixed stop, and it looked good in theory, but the trimmers were so poorly made that I threw them in the trash after using them for less than a year. I went back to the Forsters (I now have three).

I'm not so sure that the concern of case length differences of +/- a few thou is meaningful (except to an anal compulsive retentive).

The trimmer I use most is a Lyman Universal case trimmer.
It has spring loaded jaws that you snap the case rim groove into, you rotate it and the jaws grab the rim and pull the case head back against a stop so trim length is consistant, as it is indexed off the head of the case instead of the front of the rim.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.