Cart or Capstan recommendation

cowboybart

I just had my rotator cuff and labrum rebuilt and my bicep re-attatched in my dominant shoulder. Hunting this year will be left handed rifle or Contender. I need to figure out how I am gonna get the critter to my truck and in the truck. A capstan was the first option, and the only option the way I am feeling now. Hopefully in 4 months I will be able to operate a cart. Which non chineese cart is a good one for deer/antelope? I don't want one that will need to be rebuilt every season. I am expecting a 400 yd journey for each of 2 antelope and 1 deer tag.

Children or friends? Honestly even with a cart you're going to have to deal with the weight of the cart getting it in and out of the truck. You will have the weight of the Antelope and deer to deal with as well. I think having someone else with you is your best bet. Your doctor will probably tell you the same.

My brother bought a hand cart from Cabelas and has used it in Idaho to haul out a couple of deer that he or his kids have shot. Now that the kids have grown enough to carry the weight of a shoulder or hind quarter I don't think he uses it as much. He said he added the puncture resistant lining to the tires and then filled the tubes up with slime to prevent flats.

I have the Cabela's 700-pound model with two spoked wheels equipped with brush guards inside and outside. I thought it would make getting a deer or elk out of the woods great, no problems. Well, I did not understand how much trash is laying around under all that grass and leaves that you don't see. My son killed a really nice, Heavy white tail Buck on the side of a Mountain bench. I think we could have grabbed that deer by the horns and drug him out easer. Unless you can pull with both arms a Cabella's cart will be a BIG JOB getting game out on the cart. It will really help to have an extra pull person.
b

Cannot help with the cart, but a hitch hoist makes getting game in and out of the truck a breeze. Amazing the non-hunting uses I find for it.

0C01FCA2-257A-4C4E-864A-3DF760ABE3DC.jpeg

Tip for loading a critter on a cart. Getting it load on the cart with limited strength could be a problem. Take a good ratchet strap or
Come along. Hook it to one end of the cart with animal on the otherside of the cart and use to to "slide" the animal on to it.
Ive had good and bad Cabela's cart pack out experiences, all based on the terrain. Even a slight up hill can take a considerable amount of strength.
Lot of respect for you. Don't give up hunting due to logistics!!!

I have the Cabela's 700-pound model with two spoked wheels equipped with brush guards inside and outside. I thought it would make getting a deer or elk out of the woods great, no problems. Well, I did not understand how much trash is laying around under all that grass and leaves that you don't see. My son killed a really nice, Heavy white tail Buck on the side of a Mountain bench. I think we could have grabbed that deer by the horns and drug him out easer. Unless you can pull with both arms a Cabella's cart will be a BIG JOB getting game out on the cart. It will really help to have an extra pull person.
b
X2

I had a total replacement of my right shoulder in Feb, had a total replacement on my left knee 3 weeks ago.

For me Bart, I'd seriously look at breaking the critter down where it drops, getting the pieces in a pack and tote it back to the truck that way.

I think you could wrestle the bugger onto your good side and make this work.

right, that was my fear for this year as well...........I started PT in Feb and will probably finish up in Sept some time...........this mid life rebuild stuff sucks:) (I'm 63)

My horses are dead and I don't plan on buying anymore. Just what I need - to get tossed from a horse with an already bad shoulder! Take a poll next time you are in WY; Ask every person you see limping - what happened. I'll bet dollars to donuts that 80% are horse related injuries. I'll pass on that fun!