Carbon barrel build up

Sikadog

Evening gents I have just purchased a 243 WSSM for £100 or about $130 but after spending 3 hours getting the copper out of the barrel, under it the first 2" of the throat is black with carbon can anyone suggest the best way to get it out, the rifling looks fine, just loads of carbon.

Evening gents I have just purchased a 243 WSSM for £100 or about $130 but after spending 3 hours getting the copper out of the barrel, under it the first 2" of the throat is black with carbon can anyone suggest the best way to get it out, the rifling looks fine, just loads of carbon.

Fastest stuff i ever found was,
Bore Tech carbon remover , soak for a couple hours and wipe it off AR-15 people love this stuff... or even soak it over night if ya want will not damage barrels...

If its really that bad, there may be some pressure damage to that barrel !

Last edited:
dog, sounds like you're in the UK. You may check regs on shipping liquids internationally. If prohibited you might try IOSSO Bore cleaner, comes in a tube like toothpaste. It works very well in the area you mentioned. Some how-to-use videos on the net. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.