Carbon Rings and Build-Up in Barrels

I want to thank all for the explanation's and methods of controlling, good knowledge for me. My gunsmith is going to borescope all the barrels and we will see how they look. It will be interesting to see with my normal cleaning methods if there is a problem, all are quite accurate and never any chambering problems. Again many thanks for advice and methods :)

This suggestion is personal choice.. I use CLR cleaning solution on carbon. Now, I have only used it on Stainless bbl's mostly, and I won't let it sit for more than 10-15 min, but it pulls ALL the carbon out. I have cleaned a barrel with bore tech and wipe out til the patches come out pristine white.....then one patch of CLR, and it is black, or dark grey at best. And no, it is NOT bbl material... I have taken a soaked patch and scrubbed on the outside of the bbl, and nothing. I have used it on blued bbl's, but I don't let it sit in it for but a minute. As I'm not a metallurgist, I won't let it sit .I've heard it will remove blueing, but haven't tried !...Any way, it will remove carbon without scrubbing, carbon rings with a nylon (IOSSO) brush wet with CLR and spun or just turned in the throat area...rsbhunter Wanted to add, I use a Teslong bore scope(50.00) flex model, so I do have eye's on proof of clean....The BEST $50.00-$80.00 I ever spent....Amazon

This suggestion is personal choice.. I use CLR cleaning solution on carbon. Now, I have only used it on Stainless bbl's mostly, and I won't let it sit for more than 10-15 min, but it pulls ALL the carbon out. I have cleaned a barrel with bore tech and wipe out til the patches come out pristine white.....then one patch of CLR, and it is black, or dark grey at best. And no, it is NOT bbl material... I have taken a soaked patch and scrubbed on the outside of the bbl, and nothing. I have used it on blued bbl's, but I don't let it sit in it for but a minute. As I'm not a metallurgist, I won't let it sit .I've heard it will remove blueing, but haven't tried !...Any way, it will remove carbon without scrubbing, carbon rings with a nylon (IOSSO) brush wet with CLR and spun or just turned in the throat area...rsbhunter Wanted to add, I use a Teslong bore scope(50.00) flex model, so I do have eye's on proof of clean....The BEST $50.00-$80.00 I ever spent....Amazon
What CLR product are you referring to?

OK seeking some real insight into this, both cause and effect, without a borescope I'm thinking they can't be spotted very well? What contributes to them? Powder-overbore-or other factors I'm not thinking of?, I'm figuring that rather than the blue/green of jacketing and copper it must be more of a black or dark grey on patches. Just did my major barrel cleaning and match barrels clean to the point of only solvent color on final patches but the two factory barrels seem to still produce that dark discoloration on patches that never cleans up completely. Use barnes cr10 and normal bore solvent's as the final, never use metal bristle brushes but stiff nylon instead. No trouble chambering or with accuracy but some barrels have a few rounds down the tube. Educate me on this subject please and what do's or don't's to employ, I may have no trace of them and my two factory barrels deliver match barrel accuracy but seem to be copper mines compared to lapped match barrels. Dial me in................:)

We clean the throat area & carbon ring after every range session but for a carbon ring build-up & that slick black carbon that runs the first 6-8" of your lands we use an oversize nylon brush & Iosso Paste. Other than that we just use Bore Tech C 4 & clean after every range session!

This is an example of the clean I get using Wipe out, Bore tech, and CLR...Factory bbl, .rsbhunter

Attachments

• WIN_20191126_15_19_20_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20191126_15_19_20_Pro.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 173
I have some friends who swear by using oven cleaner to remove the carbon ring. They even use it in high dollar .22LR bench rest rifles.

I started using CLR after reading this article:

Just be careful—it will strip bluing, which is why you may only want to use it on stainless barrels. I personally see my rifles as tools, and don't mind so much how they look. But CLR eats carbon like it is getting paid to do it. I've seen nothing better so far.

Yes,,, it will take the bluing off of any thing Blued. Works as a great stripper if you want to reblue any thing.