Cant with Burris Rings? Fifty Driver, Goodgrouper anybody......

jsali

Does anyone know what the cant numbers are for the different combinations of inserts when using the Burris 30mm Signature rings (high) on leupold standard bases? This setup will be mounted on a remington long action.

C'mon somebody must have something, your not going to make me do all the calculations are ya?

Johnny

In the 1" rings you can get 0,10(+,-),20(+,-) moa inserts and the 30mm rings they have 0,10(+,-) moa. They may have added more inserts for the 30mm but am not sure.

The 1" you can go from +10moa to +40moa.

don't know how far u plan on shooting but a 20 moa base will get u out to 1000 on a 30mm tube,that would be +10 rear,-10 front

There isn't a set amount to use. It depends on where your rifle prints its best loads. I always shoot at 100yds with my best loads. I test my loads at 180 or 250yds though.

From there, I see how much elevation is left in the scope. I shim the scope to get the amount of elevation I need.

Every rifle/barrel/and load is different.

Jerry

Johnny,
A while back, I posted a complete sheet of all the different combos, and the formula to calculate it...
Is this what you are looking for?
shimvaluesmed.jpg

Just remember.....

that those Burris inserts aren't MOA, they're thousandths - .005" and .010" for the 30mm, and MOA will vary with the distance between rings.

Re: Just remember.....

[ QUOTE ]
that those Burris inserts aren't MOA, they're thousandths - .005" and .010" for the 30mm, and MOA will vary with the distance between rings.

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JB

Forgot to mention my simple rule of figuring out how much shims I need. For most scope spacing on reg. length actions (7" to 8"), 1 thou of shim is 1" at the target.

so if I need 20min, I use 20 thou worth of shims. Close enough and you can fine tune either with the knobs or rotating the shims in the rings.

That's right, you are not fixed at the amounts marked on the shims. By rotating them from 'full' value, you can get any amount in between max and min.

Jerry

Someone critique my math here. If I am figuring right the formula should play out as follows:

Difference in elevation of rings (inches) / Spacing of rings (inches) X 3600 (inches in 100 yards).

This should give you the vertical displacement off of center at 100 yards (in inches). Divide this answer by 1.047 (inches per MOA at 100 yds) and this should give you the vertical displacement in MOA. It seems right if I remember my math correctly.

johnny,
3600 is from the miliradian value 1mil=36"@ 1000 yds, and 3.6" at 100yds. There are 3.438moa in a mil. Don't worry about the 1.04719.... this formula yields true moa values.

That makes sense. 1 mil = 1/1000 the distance. I was just referring back to some old math formulas. They seemed like they would apply.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.