can you fire form 7mm weatherby brass for 7stw

Here is an image I found on Google to give you a visual comparison... The .300 Wby is on the far right.

Here is the article the image is from: http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ammunition_st257weatherbymagnum_031706/

st257weatherby_041706b.jpg

Is anealing the 300 h&h a must or can you just us imperial case case sizing lube and go slow with a full length size die then fire form

Annealing is not a must. Just an extra step I took. In the past when I've fireformed brass for friend's Ackley's every now and then I would get a small split in the shoulder area. This was primarily with Remington brass. Norma or Nosler would probably be soft enough that you wouldn't have to worry about it.

My thought was that the softer anneled brass would fill the chamber better and have a lesser chance of splitting or cracking.

Would also work fine. Never done it before with 375. Can you resize the neck down all in one step or combo of bushings? When you do, what is the finished neck diameter on a loaded round?

I've also used 8mm, and it does make for good brass as well.

Would also work fine. Never done it before with 375. Can you resize the neck down all in one step or combo of bushings? When you do, what is the finished neck diameter on a loaded round?

Never tried it, but I don't think it would be a simple 1 step process like it is when using 8mmRM brass. You would probably have to run the .375 brass through the 8mmRM die, then through the 7mmSTW FL die.

You will need to use a 338 or 30 cal die or bushing as an intermediate step. I usually just set my 338 win die long and neck the 375's with that, then form in the stw die, then fireform with a start load for a 7stw... Just did a box up a few weeks ago and all 20 were perfect in one pass...

.300 H&H would be even easier to form from. Just run them through the 7mm STW FL sizing die, and shoot a starting load to fire-form.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 300 H&H Mag Box of 25
Hornady Reloading Brass 300 H&H Mag Box of 50

I like the 375 better as the shoulder is more formed at fireforming. The 300h@h won't have much shoulder at all. You can do either one up but properly preformed 375 brass will actually index on the shoulder also and stretch very little...

300 weatherby works great. Done it many times. 8mm rem mag and 300 weatherby are identical cases other than the shoulder radius and tyhat won't bother you when resizing

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.