Can I shoot 7m08 in 7mm Mag rifle with 7m08 bolt?

CamaroMan

Consider this thread closed, thanks all-

Wife and I have tikka rifles in 7mm Mag.. shot my first handloaded ammo this week and it seemed to work real nice- If i order a 7mm 08 bolt for our rifles can i shoot those with the matching bolts for smaller game? The mags are overkill imo..

Thanks

Also - i found the loaded ammo seemed alot softer ito recoil compared to box ammo - any ideas why? I loaded Hornady eld-x with 58 grains of N160 powder from the same rifles.. is it the powder perhaps or bullet seating? it just seemed alot easier on our shoulder and was curious why?

Last edited:
Wife and I have tikka rifles in 7mm Mag.. shot my first handloaded ammo this week and it seemed to work real nice- If i order a 7mm 08 bolt for our rifles can i shoot those with the matching bolts for smaller game? The mags are overkill imo..

Thanks

Also - i found the loaded ammo seemed alot softer ito recoil compared to box ammo - any ideas why? I loaded Hornady eld-x with 58 grains of N160 powder from the same rifles.. is it the powder perhaps or bullet seating? it just seemed alot easier on our shoulder and was curious why?
Big no to the first one unless you get a 7mm08 barrel to match your bolt.
second could be many factors. Most likely a lighter load than what the factory one is.

I hope you're kidding with this question or I'm missing something.
nope i was wondering if it was possible. clearly not then - i thought the 08 bolt might just take up the head space but the necking is prob different too hence the comment from belldar- was hoping with a bolt switch we could have a 2 in 1 rifle :)

tool-time.gif

By making your reloads at or near the lowest velocity listed in the loading manual, you might be near the ballistics of the 7mm/08, yet you'd still be using 7 mag load data, 7 mag brass cases, and your 7 mag rifles. Every reloading manual I have seen (and I've seen many. I currently own 7) has complete instructions at or near the beginning of the book. As a novice reloader, please take the time to read the printed instructions from a reloading manual put out by one of the 'major' bullet makers (Hornaday, Speer, Sierra, Nosler, Hodgdon Powder). That would be much, much prefered to being instructed on the interdnet.